First Dates

Outfit for the chapter ⬆️

Persephone Beaulieu's POV

After an hour and a half of careful concentration, I finally landed on a dress to wear on my date with Elvis. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he wants to go on an actual date with me.

After changing into my dress I walk over to my vanity to change my makeup to match the dress I now have on. Once I do that, I look over at the clock on my nightstand. 6:25. Just under an hour before Elvis is set to pick me up.

I stand up to get a better look at my ensemble in my full-length mirror. As I'm gazing at myself, I hear my door open. I look at it in the reflection and see Priscilla standing in my doorway. Gee, ever heard of knocking?

I make eye contact with her in the mirror. "May I help you, Priscilla?" I say, trying my best not to sound annoyed at the fact that she just barged into my room without knocking first.

She looks at me up and down before rolling her eyes. "It would be me going on a date with Elvis Presley, not you. What does he see in you anyway? Anyone can see that I'm the prettier twin." She says, venom in her tone.

Gee, thanks, Priscilla. Way to help my self-confidence. Please note the sarcasm in my voice. Instead of saying what was on my mind I simply said. "Yes, Priscilla, to most you are the more aesthetically pleasing twin to look at. But, outer beauty isn't all one cares about when looking for a partner."

Priscilla didn't like that answer. She rolls her eyes. "That dress is hideous by the way. He's gonna take one look at you and realize he chose the wrong one." She says before exiting my bedroom.

I turn back to my mirror. Is my dress really hideous? I thought it was beautiful, and I put a lot of effort into picking it out.

While I examined myself in the mirror with furrowed eyebrows, picking apart my whole outfit, I didn't notice Momma enter my room. "You look beautiful, darling." I hear her voice from my doorway, which Priscilla had left open when she left.

I look at her, making eye contact in the mirror. "You have to say that, you're my mother. What if he doesn't like it? What if Priscilla is right, and my dress is hideous and when he sees me he is going to realize he chose the wrong sister and decide to take her out instead of me?" I start to overthink everything.

Momma walks over to me and wraps her arms around me in a comforting way. "you are beautiful, sweetheart. Don't listen to your sister. She is just jealous that a famous man chose you over her." She says to me.

I look at her in the mirror. I have always been told that I am the spitting image of my mother, just shorter and with blue eyes instead of brown. I've always thought of my mother as the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. "Do you really think so, Momma?" I ask her.

She smiles at me and nods her head, kissing me on the top of mine. "I do, sweetheart. I really do. Ignore Priscilla. I will deal with her after you leave." She says. And then looks over at the alarm clock on my nightstand. "Speaking of, you should head downstairs. Elvis should be arriving any moment. Wouldn't want to keep him waiting on you, now would we?"

After she said this, I looked over at the clock and saw it was now 6:57. Was I truly staring at myself in the mirror for over half an hour second-guessing myself? I look back at Momma and nod my head, grabbing my small purse, before linking arms with her.

As we exit my room I close the door, making sure it latches shut before Momma and I make our way down the stairs. As we reach the bottom, I see Daddy sitting on the couch reading a book.

He looks up when he hears us approaching and puts his book down, standing up to greet us. He looks at me with a proud look in his eyes. He walks over to us, meeting us at the door. He kisses the top of my head. "You look beautiful, princess." He says.