twenty seven

The smallest smile was plastered across my face as I stared up at the sky, counting the stars over and over again. My mind was cleared almost completely, and I felt warm and relaxed. The tension I was carrying in my shoulders was unnoticeable now, and I had a small blanket draped over my torso, my hand making circles in the fabric.

Sarah was giggling across from me, her eyes red and slanted from her high. She had been going on and on about random things for over fifteen minutes now. I could tell Kiara wanted to be anywhere but here right now, catching every single time she rolled her eyes at her ex-best friend.

"Would you rather have nipples for eyes, or eyes for nipples?" Sarah questioned, stumbling on her words.

Her question was stupid, to say the least, but I couldn't deny, it got me thinking.

"Definitely eyes for nipples," I responded swiftly.

She laughed softly, "Imagine if you get really old, and you boobs get saggy, if they were your eyes, they could see if your shoes were untied."

"What if you hook up with a guy, he pulls off your bra, and you're just staring at him with both sets," I added, both of us giggling together at the thought.

Kiara huffed from beside Sarah, not bothering to hide her annoyance in the slightest.

"Is this like your first time smoking or something?"

Sarah's face fell and she shook her head, her response so quite I could barely hear her, "No."

"And why are you encouraging her, Josie? Eyes for nipples, really?"

I scoffed at her, sitting up slightly in my spots. My hands held me up on either side of me.

"Lighten up, Kiara. Seriously."

"Whatever," she muttered, crossing her arms across her chest.

It was quiet for a few moments, the silence radiating over us, creating a thick line of tension in the air. I sighed, clicking my phone and checking the time, only to find my phone dead.

"Hey, Kiara," Sarah trailed on, immediately earning a hiss from Kie.

"Enough with the 'Hey Kiara' bullshit. Why did you do it?"

My eyes were focused on the two girls, and I felt my breath catch in my throat, completely unprepared for where this conversation was going to go.

There was a high possibility one of the girls, or even me, could end up thrown in the water in a few minutes. I sat up more now, and brought my knees to my chest as I watched the two girls hash it out.

"We were best friends. I mean, we stole beers from your dads fridge; we watched movies together; we cried about boys. And the next thing I know, I'm watching your birthday party from instagram," Kie vented, her voice quiet as she spoke.

"It was one party."

"You invited everybody, but me. And then you told everybody that I was the reason the party got busted."

Sarah rolled her eyes this time. "Okay, well who else would have called the cops?"

"I don't know, maybe Josie?"

My face twitched and I brought my hands up in defense, "Dude, seriously?"

"It could have been!"

"It wasn't, though."

Kie held her hand up, as if to silence me.

"Whatever. The point is, Sarah- you never asked. You just let the rumor go that I was a rat. You were my best friend and then you ghosted me. And I don't even know why! I mean, really, what did I do?"