fourteen

JJ MAYBANK

Watching Pope swim towards the Thornton's purple Malibu, I had so many emotions rushing through me. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I watched him be vengeful for once in his life.

I knew that maybe it wasn't the best decision for him to make. But it was completely necessary and long overdue.

We had let the Kooks win, time and time again. Pope especially. He never retaliated, because in his eyes, he had too much to lose.

And maybe that was true.

But after finding out that Rafe and Topper jumped him on the golf course, I knew this was the right decision for Pope. I was incredibly angry for him, not understanding what he had ever done that would have given Rafe and Topper any reason to jump him. He deserved to fight back for once.

I clenched my fists against my sides the closer he got to the boat and cursed under my breath every few seconds. My eyes scanned the dock, making sure nobody was watching.

"I am so proud of you right now," I grinned, reaching down and grabbing the plug from him.

He hoisted himself into the boat and shook his head back and forth slightly, causing drops of water to fling all around the boat and onto me.

"JJ," he begins, his voice was rough and serious. "You can't tell anyone about this."

"Oh no, yeah, totally, dude," I nod, grinning at my best friend.

He inches closer, his eyes wide as they stare into mine intensely. His breathing is heavy as he speaks.

"Not Kie, not John B, nobody."

"My lips are sealed."

He grabbed my hand tightly and pulled me closer to him.

"And please don't let Josie find out about this," he breathes.

I watch his eyes shut and he takes a deep breath, shaking his head. His eyes open and I watch as guilt washes over his features.

"Don't worry about, Josie, dude," I tell him, grabbing his shoulder and squeezing it lightly. "They're Kooks anyway, Pope. They'll get pissy and then buy a new boat in the next week."

"Josie's not like that, JJ," he sighs, shrugging my hand off of his shoulder. "She's just not, and if she were to find out about this and think I did this to hurt her... I don't know what I'd do."

I scoffed and didn't hesitate to roll my eyes as I threw the plug off the boat and walked myself over to the wheel.

"Josie will be just fine, Pope."

He followed me and grabbed his shirt from the ground, pulling it over his head quickly.

"You know I'm right," he spoke. "I don't know what's happened between the two of you, and truthfully, I don't care. But you know I'm right."

I grabbed my sunglasses and slipped them on, and leaned against the edge of the boat, my knuckles turning white as I gripped the edge.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

***

Hours later, I had decided to go off and go surfing alone after leaving Heyward's. Pope had barely said more than a few words to his dad when he got home, going straight to his room. I didn't bother going after him. I knew he needed his space, and truly, I needed mine.

I knew surfing would be the best way to clear my head. Surfing for me was always my greatest escape. To get away from my dad, my home, my thoughts, myself. It was always surfing.