twenty two

My mom had grounded me as soon as I got home. She explained that I was not permitted to leave the house other than Midsummer's, or going to work, for as long as she saw fit. I didn't see the point in arguing with her, especially considering we weren't looking for gold anymore.

There went my extraordinary summer plans.

And whose fault was that? The correct answer would be none other than Topper Thornton.

Although I wanted nothing more than to lay in my bed the rest of the summer, the thought of dressing up and going to Midsummer's did sound somewhat entertaining. It was an excuse to see my friends without being reprimanded for it. I hadn't seen Sarah in a few days, or heard much from her for that matter, so I was excited to see some sunshine for once.

I had my record player singing to me softly in the background as I sat at my vanity and got myself ready for the evening.

Ever since the concussion, I hadn't been feeling like myself. The bags under my eyes were dark and sunk in heavily. My face felt dull and dry because I hadn't been taking very good care of it. Today was a day of pampering and relaxation, that was very much overdue. A steamy shower followed by an intense getting ready session left me glowing. Cheeks stained with blush, hair pulled back into a low messy bun. Looking at myself in the mirror, I was impressed. I was kindly smiling at myself in the mirror, something I needed.

"Josephine," my mom's voice sounded from the hallway. I turned my head at the sound of her voice and watched her appear in my bedroom.

Her hair was straightened, but instead of sitting up in a bun, like it usually was, it was flat, resting on her shoulders. She wore a long, baby blue, strapless gown that came up high on her chest. A flashy gold necklace was sitting on her collarbone and she was putting the matching earrings in as she spoke to me.

"Do you have your-" she stopped her words when she saw me, kissing her teeth, "Sweetheart, you should have straightened your hair."

I pursed my lips together, nodding slowly, not surprised by her words, "Just because you straighten your curls, doesn't mean I need to straighten mine."

I got my curly hair from her, although the color of mine was much lighter. Her hair a dark brown, almost black; while mine was a light brown that had been kissed by the sun in so many spots, it was starting to look almost blonde. She had been straightening her curls since she was a teenager. But I loved my curly hair. I didn't intend on straightening the life out of it.

When I became friends with Kiara in middle school, she taught me how to take care of the curls; She showed me what products to use, how to use them. Although my hair isn't as curly hers, it made me appreciate my curly hair more.

I turned my attention back to myself in the mirror and ran my hand through my hair as she came up behind me. Her hands gently touched my shoulders and I sighed softly.

"I didn't mean it like that," she sighed, giving me a small half smile, "I'm sorry."

I nodded in response, and raised my eyebrows, wondering why she was in my room in the first place.

"I was just wanting to make sure you had your shoes picked out. We need to get going soon."

"Yeah, I'm gonna wear the white ones."

Her smile twitched and she removed her hands from my shoulders. "Okay. Yeah, what about the nude ones?"

I laughed softly and turned my body around completely to meet her. "Mom, I'm choosing the white ones. It will be fine," I assured her, standing up and walking towards my closet. "I'll be out in a few minutes."