one

I was already tipsy when I arrived at the beach with several of my friends. We had pre-gamed at my house for the last two hours, a typical start to a summer weekend. My body had started to feel the buzz from the alcohol and I was excited for the evening.

Tonight was the annual Summer Kick-Off party that happened on the last day of school every year. Kids from all over the island show up to this party, a rare occasion where the rich kids, -otherwise known as the Kooks- and the kids from the south side- the Pogues- came together for an evening. Kids from the Academy and even the Kildare County High kids showed up to this every year.

The four girls I came with all mingled amongst each other as I sat and looked out into the crowd, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my best friend, Sarah. She was currently with my brother, Topper, and said she would late to the party. Although I didn't mind hanging out with these girls, Sarah was much better company. 

I scanned the crowd, hoping to find a familiar face. My eyes wandered over and over before I found the familiar curly hair sitting a few feet away, and felt my lips turn into a smile.

"I'll be right back," I muttered to the girls before running over to embrace my other best friend, Kiara.

Although Sarah and Kiara are very different people, and don't get along themselves, I was extremely close with both girls. I connected with the two girls on different levels, and loved them eternally.

Sarah and I connected through our families being super close and having a very similar family dynamic. She has been my longest friendship, as we've known each other since we were little girls. Now that she's dating my brother, I don't see her as much as I'd like to, given she spends most of her time with him now, but I didn't mind it too much.

Kiara and I had been friends since middle school. Personality wise, Kiara and I were definitely more similar. The both of us didn't get along with our parents the best, both of us being "rebellious" in their eyes. The two of us have always connected really well through music as well. Getting to know her more we have noticed that we like the same artists. If we are ever driving around together, we are jamming out to music, or singing Karaoke together.

Sarah and Kiara were pretty close for a very long time as well. I wasn't caught up in the middle of the drama when they had their falling out. I loved them both and begged them to please keep me out of it. Which for the most part, they did, and I was very thankful for that. But I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the three of us hanging out together.

I quickly jog away from my friends and run over to Kiara, and as I get closer to her, I can hear her ranting about the environment, in very typical Kiara fashion.

"Don't even get me started on microplastics," she huffed as I reach around her and hug her from behind. Her head is quick to snap up at me and her frown swiftly conforms into a wide smile. "Josie!" she giggles, putting her arms around mine.

I grin as I moved around her and take a seat next to her, now hugging her from the side.

"I missed you!" I smile as she stares at me. Her eyes are red and I chuckle to myself knowing she was buzzed as well.

Ever since Kiara had switched schools, we didn't see as much of each other anymore. Recently, the only time I was seeing her, was if the two of us were working at the same time. I would help out at her parent's restaurant every now and then.

I spent most of my time now with Sarah, since we both went to the academy, we saw each other a lot more, so naturally at this point in my life, I was closer to her.

Kiara grins and flips her curly hair behind her shoulders. "I missed you too, girl. I didn't think you would make it tonight."

I shrug my shoulders and look around. "Why not? Seems like fun. Plus, I am trying to manifest this summer being extraordinary. I figured going to a Summer Kick-off would be the best decision to really get those manifest juices going."