twenty one

"Table three needs refills, honey."

I nodded softly, wiping the bead of sweat that was finding its way down my forehead.

"On it."

The Wreck was busier than ever on this particular day. Tables had been filled since the moment the open sign had flickered on, and of course to my luck, Kiara wasn't working today, so we were short staffed, to say the least.

I really didn't mind busy days, not usually at least. I made good money from tips and the days always went by fast. But having Kiara gone made everything a little bit harder. I didn't have anyone to complain or joke around with, and her dad had picked a terrible radio station, totally killing the vibe.

"Here's some refills on those waters," I grinned at the older couple sitting across from each other, filling up their cups swiftly, "and here's your check. Thanks for coming in today and holler if you need anything else!"

I cheerfully skipped away to the bar where I began typing in another order. My brain was running on autopilot at this point, I hardly even noticed that my phone was buzzing like crazy in my pocket.

I avoided it, not at all curious to know who was blowing up my phone. I was close to the end of my shift anyway, I figured I'd get back to whoever it was when I was on my way home.

The order printed and I ran it back to the kitchen and immediately turned myself back around, going to clear off the table that had left. When I reached the table and saw a fifty dollar bill was sitting there as a tip, on a thirty dollar tab, I pumped my fist in the air and put the money in my apron.

"Score," I sang quietly while the dirty plates and cups off of the table.

"Excuse me, sweetheart?"

I turned around and met the sweet mom that was dining with her two children, a boy and a girl. I smile softly at the two blonde kids sitting next to her. The boy looked slightly older, and was helping his sister color in the lines are her picture.

"I think we're missing an order of fries."

I gaze over their table and send her a small smile.

"I'm so sorry, I'll be right out with those."

I grab the rest of the dishes and pile them into my arms, rushing back to the sink where I sit them all down for the dishwasher to clean them.

It was me. I was the dishwasher.

I quickly grabbed the plate of fries they were missing and ran them out to her table, when my phone began buzzing in my pocket again. I huffed and walked back to the kitchen, grabbing my phone to see the same number blinking across the screen. I rolled my eyes and huffed slightly, staring at the number, when I heard a cough from above me. I peered up to see Mr. Carrera staring down at me.

"Do you need to answer that?"

I quickly pressed ignore and shook my head, "No sir."

When my phone began buzzing again in my hand we both looked down at the phone and then back at each other. His lips turned up into a half smile and I chuckled awkwardly.

"Maybe I should."

He laughed softly and rested his hand on my shoulder, "Go take a quick break, answer the phone, okay?"

"Are you sure?" I tapped my fingers against the metal table.

"Go ahead."

I nod and quickly walked outside to the back side of the restaurant. I held the phone to my ear and ripped my ponytail out of my hair, shaking my head slightly.