Chapter 10: To her you're just a friend

Huxley's POV

It's been weeks ever since my birthday. Estelle has been acting distant and it's driving me crazy. I know that Kaia told me to keep my distance and wait for her to open up but I can't wait anymore.

When I saw her at my party I had to swallow a deep breath. She looked gorgeous. She always does, but that day, damn. She was dressed in all black. Her pants were hugging her waist perfectly, I had to take a moment to process it. And the top she was wearing accentuated every beautiful part of her upper body. Don't even get me started on those red lips. Her red lipstick is gonna kill me someday. How can one have such beautiful lips?

And then she hugged me! It took everything in me to keep myself together. This beautiful girl was hugging me again. She's not tiny, but she is smaller than me. She fits perfectly in my arms and when she hugged me I took the opportunity to hold her close to me again. That feeling that I had missed for a long time. Her flowery perfume graced my nose and put me in a spell. I was enchanted.

Not ever did I want to let her go, but I had to. Unfortunately, it was my birthday, so I had to entertain my other friends who came to celebrate with me. Luckily my team had won the game and everyone was in a good mood. Before we went into the living room I received a present from Estelle. It was a teddy bear in hockey attire. It's the cutest thing. Such an Estelle thing to give me. It made me feel all giddy. We talked for a bit and I couldn't help myself to not flirt. Her reaction was the cutest thing ever. I loved the fact that I could make her shy.

I miss those moments with my Sunshine. That nickname slipped out of my mouth before I could even register it. I tried to play it cool, but I was panicking inside, for calling her that out loud. She didn't comment on it tho. Maybe it's just her being decent. I really hope that it doesn't put her off.

I look at my room, while sitting at my desk. Everything is nice and clean. My bed is made, with blue bedding on it. The walls are decorated with a few posters of some bands I like, and some hockey themed art. The desk is organised, books are neatly stacked, pencils in a pencil holder and my laptop lies in the middle of my desk. Then I look over at my closet where the jersey Cami gave me hangs. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her present. She really didn't need to give me anything. I was even shocked to see that she remembered my birthday. I immediately called her to thank her. She told me that it was a small gesture. Her uncle has a few contacts in the NHL and managed to get a signed jersey. Still, I was not expecting such a gift.

But the gift that warmed my heart the most was the teddy bear Estelle got me. It's on my cabinet next to my bed. I go over to grab it. I observe it closely and play with it for a bit. Then something strange happens. A small note falls out of the shirt the bear is wearing. How did I not notice it being there? I've had the bear for like two weeks already. I open the piece of paper and start reading.

Hi Huxley. If you're reading this after your birthday, then my chaotic head forgot to tell you that I left a note. Sorry...
Anyways. Happy birthday! I'm glad that we're finally getting along. I am happy that I get to call you my friend. I want you to know that whenever you have trouble sleeping, you can look at this bear. Think of me when you look at it. It's a reminder that you're not alone during your sleepless nights. Pretend that we're counting sheep together - Estelle :)

Wow. Can this girl get any better? What did I ever do to deserve such a wonderful person in my life? My heart's beating really fast right now. This november night is suddenly feeling very warm. Only you, Sunshine can make the coldest days feel like summer. What would I do without you?

I don't even think it over and start to call Estelle. Pick up, pick up, pick up! Dammit Estelle! Please just pick up the phone. I need to hear your voice. Just one conversation. That all I'm asking for.