Chapter 6: I just want her to see me

Huxley's POV

It's Friday, our game night. My team the Greenwood Wolves are up against the Hawks. They were a strong opponent last year, but we managed to beat them. I'm confident that we can do it again, but we need to give it our all, it won't be easy. While I'm putting on my hockey gear I keep thinking back to Estelle and our moment on the ice. Lately I've been feeling distracted. That's exactly the reason why I needed to distance myself from her. But my body won't let me. When she's around me I feel myself moving closer to her. Like my body, my eyes have a mind of their own. I keep checking her out. Watching everything she does. I keep discovering new things about her. Yesterday, when she smiled at me I noticed that she has dimples. They really suit her face, making her even more beautiful. Her smile could light up a whole arena, and those dimples make it impossible not to notice her.

I had to take a deep breath when she looked at me like that. It's impossible to stay away from her. She makes it impossible. And I am stupid enough to ask her to watch my game. I can't be near her. But I also can't be apart from her. She's distracting, yet I need her at my game. I don't know why. I just want her to see me. I just don't think she'll see me the way I see her. But that's for the better. So what, I'm attracted to her? Shit happens. Nothing I can't get over... right?

What am I even thinking? I should get ready to give my team a pep talk. ''Alright team listen up. Tonight we've got a tough competition. We beat the Hawks last year, but that doesn't mean we should underestimate them. I want 100 percent! Alright. Let's go Wolves!''

Everyone in the locker room seems energized. The fire in their eyes is burning brightly. We're ready. I'm ready.

— the game —

We're almost done with the first period of the game. It's been tough but thanks to Dorian passing me the puck I managed to score a goal for my team. I see Jake blocking number 78 and he manages to get the puck. He swiftly passes it to Miles who tries to shoot it in the net. And yes yes! Fuck! He missed. Damn, so close!

The first period is over and coach signs for us to come over to him. While I skate over to him, I scan the crowd to see if Estelle came to watch my game. To my disappointment I see no signs of her yet. I dont know why but I start to feel like my stomach was just punched. The roughness of the hockey game has nothing on what I'm feeling right now. I shouldn't be feeling like this. But I can't help myself. Even though we are one point ahead of the opponent, I'm not feeling satisfied yet. See, this is exactly the problem. If I let a girl get into my head I get distracted. That can't happen. Focus, Huxley, focus. No need for that blonde ball of sunshine to be here. She doesn't have to be here. I don't need her here. I'm fine. Totally fine. Now. It's time to lead my team!

"Okay team! Well played. But we need to stronger our defense. We almost let the Hawks through! Can't let that happen! Now. Miles and Jake keep passing to Dorian and me. Jordan and Tyler keep defending with everything you got, alright? We can do this! Now let's show them who's the better team! Lets go wolves!" My team cheers with me. I skate over to Miles and ask him where the girls are, trying to be subtle about it.

"Oh, just say you mean Estelle. And to answer you, I don't know? But I do see Kaia and Samara sitting there, behind where coach is standing right now. And look! They're sitting with my boyfriend, Leo. The brown haired boy with the big doe eyes!" Miles looks up in excitement and waves to our friends. This is the first time I see Leo, so I try my hardest to give him a friendly look.

I wave over to Kaia to talk to me. She seems to get the memo and is now standing close to the rink. I move over to her with a hopeful look on my face. "Nice game so far, Huxley. I'll be sure to tell Estelle you scored the first one." She says with a smug look on her face. I shake my head. Pft, what does she know. She's enjoying my suffering. I just need to know if Estelle is coming. Just want her to see me scoring.