Chapter 8 - Sokovian Secrets

They were all sat on the plane, Mason's face saying it all.

"I wanted us to talk a bit about the case we just solved. The clues we found at the scene were...eye opening to say the least."

"We found that one of the hitman's clients was Nathan Hayward. He hired him to eliminate Eliza Alpine if she was still alive."

"Right. So August I must ask you a serious question and you must respond truthfully. Are you Eliza Alpine?"

* No, but wouldn't that put me at risk if he thinks I am?

Mason nodded.

"I looked through your life. Besides vague similarities in appearance, nothing backs his opinion. But in order to ensure yours and everybody safety, you need to be honest August. Very honest."

* Yes Sir.

A few hours passed by before the plane landed. Everyone was relieved, they finally had a day off to rest. August drove home and had a shower before plopping herself on the sofa and turning on the TV. She had already ordered some Chinese takeout. She took a sigh of relief as she poured herself a cup of lemonade.

Her all time favourite.

The horror movie had only just started when her takeaway arrived. She got up to open the door and thanked for delivery man before closing the door.

* My favourite..!

August ate and watched the movie; She was drifting off to sleep when she got a phone call.

* You've got to be kidding me...

She sat up and answered the phone.

* Hello? August speaking....

[ "Eliza Alpine." ]

* Uh- who is this please?-

She pressed the audio record button.

[ "You should know the answer to that already. Since you won't give yourself up voluntarily, I'm going to gift you with a warning. I'm sure Ellie knows who I am..." ]

* Wait Sir-

The phone hung up. August quickly sent the audio to her team's group chat before logging into the government website to find Ellie's phone number.

She hadn't called her in ages..

She didn't even know what Ellie was up to these days.

Before she could call the number, the others arrived at her house.

* I'm about to call her, make sure Agent Crest is present. He needs to teleport us there if need be.

"Done."

She dialed the number and waited impatiently for her to answer.

[ * Hello? ]

"Is this Ellie?"

[ * Uh..yes? ]

"Good. This is Agent Mason and I'm with the FBI. A person targeting your mother is now t-"

[ * Targetting me so you want me to go into hiding. Yeah, they're right outside my house waiting for Lucas or I to step out, I think they forget I'm a robot.. ]

"Should we come to you? Agent Crest can teleport us there."

[ * They have a device that can alter my mind waves, so yes please. ]

"Alright Ellie, here's what we're going to do. Agent August and Agent Jacob will stay with you and Lucas whilst Agent Talya, the SWAT team, and I surround the premises."

[ * Sure thing. ]

'Reporting for duty Sir.' Agent Crest said.

"Let's go."

Within a few seconds everyone was in place. Ellie and Lucas were sat down...but Ellie couldn't take her eyes off the two agents in the living room with her.

She knew who she was...

* Sooo...is the FBI fun?

"Heh, it's certainly interesting..but I wouldn't use the word fun."

* Haha yeah, how about you, Agent August?

* It's inspiring, I learn new things everyday. :)

* Aww, cute! So, Nathan Hayward is after Eliza, but she's not present so he's after me now?

"Yeah, pretty much."

* I mean, I don't really know if she's alive or not but it would be selfish to stay hidden if she knows her family are in danger.

August glanced at Ellie; Jacob took note of that.

"Maybe she doesn't know..?"

* If she's alive, she knows. Her magic is more advanced than anyone I've ever met. She would know.

* Maybe she is dead..

* She would never leave Zir and I. Family comes first.

August received a call from Mason and she stepped out of the room to take it.

Jacob sat down with Ellie and Lucas.

"He thinks Agent August is Eliza Alpine."

"I'm not surprised, the resemblance is there.."

"Ellie?"

* Mhm?

"What do you think? August is denying the accusation."

She shrugged.

* I wish I knew, but Eliza's hair a lot more blonde..different glasses, and I don't sense a magical aura from her. Although she's definitely hiding something.

"You know Eliza better than all of us. What would make her give herself up?"

* She knows that I can defend myself very easily. Guilt trip her enough for something she could've prevented and she'll break.

August entered the room.

* They've located Nathan and his group.

Ellie threw a pillow at August.

* OOF-

* Her magic would've reacted if it was her.

"But there's been a period of time where Mrs Alpine blocked her magic from usage."

* Very true. I dunno, are you my mother, Agent August?

* Why would I-

* It's a yes or no question.

August looked at Ellie.

* No.

Ellie shrugged, looking back at Jacob. He received a notification on his device.

"You two are safe, call us if need be."

Ellie smiled and nodded as Lucas held her hand. August and Jacib went through the portal that opened for them.

"August, we need to talk."

* ..?

He went into his office with her and shut the door. Talya and Mason saw them go into the office but didn't follow them there.

"I saw your reactions August."

* What?

"You're hiding something. You can tell me."

* Jacob, there's nothing wrong.

"Just tell me the truth, I can help you through th-"

* You really think I'm her, don't you? Look, I've done extensive research on Mrs Alpine, I'm just trying to understand her so it can help the case. There's nothing wrong, I promise. :)

He looked at August for a bit before sighing.

"Alright then...just know that we're always here if you need anything. After all, you're the only one single in the group, and that already raises suspicion.."

* ...it does?

He nodded.

Hm.