Chapter 7 - Money Is The Root Of All Evil

One month later...

Talya sent the case documents to everyone's tablets.

"Two men were killed within a week of one another. Both wealthy, hve a family, and work in the same industry, finance."

"Revenge?"

* Maybe, but see how both men were positioned, it implies there was a level of empathy and regret, he wanted them to keep their dignity.

"Definitely a male with that level of aggressiveness."

Mason turned off his tablet.

"Wings up in 30."

Even though the case had been put on hold, August hadn't stopped thinking about what Nathan was capable of. He may have been younger, but he was sly, evil and full of revenge.

"I looked through customer complaints and reports; besides a few Karens and unsuccessful deals, there's nothing outstandingly concerning."

* I think we'd have to look at intersections between the men's jobs and see if people who work with the two know anything that might help us.

Mason nodded.

August rested her eyes as the flight was a few hours long.

Grim looked at all four of them. It was as if they were nobodies to him.

Or was it the other way around?

He could see their mouths moving, tears falling down Elizas face...but he couldn't hear them. He held the gun up to him head. As far as Grim was aware, he'd completed the missions he had to finish in order to leave this world in peace...nothing else gave him a reason to-

To go on.

August shuffled in her seat, it was mildly uncomfortable.

* Eliza, you've got to stop this...you can't control everything, it's only hurting you.

* Ellie they don't deserve to be sad...they deserve joy...and routine...and-

* They'll learn to strive without your magic. Just let them free mother.

August opened her eyes to see Jacob looking straight at her.

* ....are you alright?

* Oh- yeah, heh. Why did I say something..?

* No no, you just looked like you were having a bad dream.

* Oh, oops..I'm fine. :)

The plane eventually landed and they quickly got to work. Jacob and August each went to the two offices where both men had been murder. August was taken to the man's office.

* What did this man's job consist of? Any regular or angry clients?

"We get angry clients all the time ma'am, but never to the point of murder."

* Any stand outs?

"Nah, but Dan never liked liked his client Nicholas. He was was riskiest investment and he got pissed as his returns weren't too high."

* So this could easily be revenge?

"We have policies in place for-"

* Rules are broken sometimes. I need the of address of Nicholas please.

"But we have a confidentiality r-"

* Don't test me.

"Y-Yes ma'am."

August made her way back to the police station where the rest of her team were.

* We've got a name to start with.

"Alright. I'll come with you. Jacob and Talya, find any common connections between the two men and their firms."

* On it!

They went to the house and knocked. Soon enough, his wife opened the door.

* Hi, is Nicholas home?

"He just left for a meeting with an acquaintance. Why?"

* We need to talk to him.

"He should be at the Vero Café-"

Within minutes, they got there. As they walked in, August got budged by someone walking back out. She couldn't tell who it was but she let it go as an accident. They saw Nicholas immediately.

* Sir, we need to talk.

'Sure, take a seat pretty lady~'

"Sir any inappropriate language may result in an arrest, so I suggest you be very careful."

'Ugh. What do you guys want anyways.'

She showed him two pictures.

'Oh, them. Look, they deserved to die-'

* We never told you they died, Sir.

He froze.

"You're under arrest. Anything you say or do will be used against you in the court of law."

An hour later...

* Sir, your wife doesn't deserve these lies. Be honest here.

'I didn't kill them, how many times do I need to say this?!'

* But you know something that'll help us, and you don't want us to know.

Talya came walking in with Nicholas's current contracts and deals.

* Did you talk to all the clients?

"Yep! Well, all but one. His biggest deal; the rest have all dropped out."

'W-WHAT?! Wait YOU CAN'T-'

* Pretty sure we can.

'OKAY, OKAY FINE. I..I didn't kill them, I got someone to do the job for me!-'

"Like a hitman? We need a name."

'He doesn't do name, he just did the job and I paid him..'

* Guve us a name, email, address, something that'll help us. If he finds out you're here, you AND your family may be in danger so you better be honest with us.

He eagerly nodded shakily writing an address and email down.

Jacob and Mason got to work.

They went with other officer to the address that was giving. It looked like a normal house. Though even after a few knocks, nobody answered. They barged in and searched the place top to bottom.

"Oh no."

"What?"

"Look at these files, the name of this client."

Mason read through them.

"Nathan Hayward. He's one of the hitman's clients."

"Could August be at risk seeming that Nathan thinks she's Eliza Alpine?"

"We talked about it as a team, let's go while the crew get all this paperwork sorted and collected."

...

August and Talya had sent an hour zooming down on certain individuals. It took some time, but they got a name.

* Shadow...

"What a horrendous nickname for a hitman."

* Pfft. I've sent it to the boys. Mason texted me saying he wanted to talk to us all after thus investigation. Do you think it's something serious?

"Probably. Mason isn't really the jokey type, we rarely get to see him smile."

* Very true, his face is so...humble yet intimidating.

They laughed a little as they got a coffee together.

It was a quicker case than usual though...right?