*22: 'sis'.

TWENTY TWO

'sis'.

A car was waiting for Billie when she stepped out of the airport. She wasn't used to being pampered like this, even if it was just being driven around. During the drive, she tried to talk to the driver. He answered politely, ending every phrase with "miss". She wanted to jump out of the backseat, sit next to him in the front and say "Hey, I'm like you. I'm not like them. I've cleaned tables for them since I was ten." But when he called her "miss" for what felt like the hundredth time, she just stopped trying and instead looked out the window. She thanked him kindly as he handed her her luggage outside of the hotel.

Exhausted and sweaty, she stumbled into her room. It was a large space, too big for her, she thought. She scoffed when she saw the massive bathtub in the bathroom. Next to it, a rain shower bigger than her whole bathroom at home. She walked back into the bedroom and kicked her shoes off. There was a box of fancy chocolates on the table under the flatscreen, and a bottle of champagne. She rolled her eyes at the redundant treats to motivate what she was sure was an excessive nightly bill. When she opened the box of chocolates, she saw a note written in delicate cursive.

Dinner. Eight o'clock. Downstairs.

- R

She stuffed one chocolate in her mouth as she read the note again with a smirk. She decided to have a bath.

***

"You're kidding?" Sarah shrieked on the other line.

"I swear to god, this room is bigger than the chateau. I'm in a bathtub right now which is, I'm not shitting you, bigger than John B's first boat," Billie ranted as Sarah laughed.

"Oh my gosh, Billie, Kie just pulled up."

"Put her on," Billie said excitedly. "Wait...Okay, I've sent you a picture of the room."

"Oh my god, Kie look at this," Sarah said and shuffled the phone around.

"Hey Billie," Kie exclaimed. "Wow what the hell."

"I know! You won't believe where I am Kie," Billie smiled.

"She's in Charleston," Sarah shrieked in excitement.

"What?" Kie gasped out of disbelief.

"Sarah!" Billie reprimanded.

"Sorry, I'm just so excited for you to come here," Sarah said apologetically.

"You're coming here?" Kie asked in surprise.

"Yeah. I'm sorry I haven't called in a while," a rush of guilt swept over Billie upon the realisation. "But when I found out I was coming I thought it could be a surprise," she pointed out to Sarah, half-joking.

"Sorry sis," Sarah laughed. "I have a big mouth."

"Oh! Did you tell her?" Kie asked with a shrill.

"Tell me what? 'Sis'? Oh no, no, no, are you kidding," Billie screamed and threw her hands up, accidentally flinging a bunch of bubbles in her face.

"We're getting married!" Sarah screamed.

"Holy shit," Billie exclaimed laughing as she wiped the soap and bubbles from her face.

In all this excitement, there was a knock on the door. Realisation suddenly hit Billie like a drum.

"Oh shit, what time is it? Oh shit," Billie started shuffling about in the bath.

"What's wrong?" Kie asked.

"I have a dinner at eight."

"It's eight thirty," Sarah pointed out. Billie laughed in half-panic.