Chapter 42: Emotional Entanglements and Mistletoe Mishaps

Start bij het begin

Celestia didn't believe a word Seraphina had said on her deathbed. Despite Celestia's doubts and reservations, she couldn't bring herself to part with the diamond ring that Seraphina had given her. Instead, she wore it around her neck on a delicate chain, the sparkling diamond serving as a constant reminder of the woman who had claimed to be her mother.

As the days passed, Celestia threw herself into her studies with renewed determination, burying herself in books and parchment as a means of distraction. But no matter how hard she tried to focus on her schoolwork, her thoughts kept drifting back to the events of that fateful night at Blanchard Manor.

Was Seraphina truly her mother, as she had claimed? Or was it all just a desperate plea for recognition from a woman who had been cast aside by her own family? Celestia couldn't say for certain, but the uncertainty weighed heavily on her mind, casting a shadow over her every thought and action. Celestia didn't dare utter a word about it to her parents or twin.

As the winter holidays drew near, Celestia found herself longing for the familiar comforts of home and family. Spending time with Draco was the only reason that kept her sane, as she packed her bags and prepared to leave Hogwarts behind for a few weeks, she couldn't shake the feeling that her life would never be the same again.

As the final meeting of the DA before the holiday break commenced, Celestia entered the room with Henry, fashionably late as usual. Harry, who hadn't seen Celestia for nearly weeks, was in the midst of giving a speech and didn't acknowledge their tardy entrance.

"As I was saying — we should just go over the things we've done so far, because it's the last meeting before the holidays and there's no point starting anything new right before a three-week break -"

"We're not doing anything new?" grumbled Zacharias Smith, his disgruntled whisper carrying through the room. "If I'd known that, I wouldn't have come."

"He's embarrassing himself," Henry whispered in Celestia's ear, eliciting a giggle from her, knowing full well that Harry was watching her every move.

"We're all really sorry Harry didn't tell you, then," Weasley twin piped up loudly, prompting several people to snigger.

"- we can practise in pairs," continued Harry, undeterred. "We'll start with the Impediment Jinx, for ten minutes, then we can get out the cushions and try Stunning again."

Celestia paired up with Henry, as usual, and the room erupted into a flurry of activity as everyone practiced the spell. Soon, they laid out cushions all over the floor and began practicing Stunning again. Celestia couldn't help but notice the occasional glares she received from the Gryffindor members of the DA.

The space was too confined to allow everyone to work on the spell simultaneously, so they took turns observing each other. After an hour, Harry called a halt to the practice.

"You're getting really good," he said, beaming at them. "When we get back from the holidays, we can start doing some of the big stuff, maybe even Patronuses."

As the room began to clear out in its usual twos and threes, Henry, ever the goody-nice Hufflepuff, stayed behind to help the Gryffindors collect the cushions. Celestia found herself doing the same, stacking the cushions neatly away.

While Hermione questioned her absence from class for a week, Celestia stayed behind, talking with her. As Ron left, Hermione nodded towards Harry, who stood awkwardly by the wall, staring at the Christmas decorations. "Talk with him, will you?" She said, following Ron.

Celestia didn't reply,

"Let's go," Henry approached Celestia as they finished cleaning up.

"No, you go on," Celestia overheard Cho saying to her friend, Marietta.