|17| You're Perfect

Start from the beginning

So, we hopped in his car driving slowly to the pier. The silence was deafening as neither of us spoke. A minute ago, he seemed so confident teasing me inside the house. Now, the atmosphere between us changed. I was so happy to get out of the car because it felt like I was suffocating in there. It felt like my lungs were waiting to burst at any moment. I'm such a chicken shit when it comes to talking to Ace. He does something to me that gets me nervous beyond belief. His presence alone makes me quiver. It's too late to turn around now.

We were still in this uncomfortable silence, but the cotton candy certainly made up for it. It was sweet and fluffy just the way it should be. Ace seemed to like it as well with the way he groaned in delight. This started out as a bribe, but I'm so happy we got to do this. Now the hard part was talking about what I was feeling. Leave it to Ace to get straight to the point though. He never shied away from hard conversation.

"Why did you really want to come out here?" He asked me. "I know it wasn't just for cotton candy and it damn sure wasn't the ambience." He teases with a smile.

I giggle, crossing my arms over my chest. "I don't know, the ambience does something frisky to me." I joke, giving him a smirk of my own.

He rolls his eyes but appreciates the joke anyway. "Seriously, what's up? You've been avoiding me for what feels like days and now you want to talk?"

Sighing, my shoulders shrug not knowing where to start. "Well, Ace honestly, I've been thinking a lot..." I trail off getting nervous. "You see...when we...that game...I'm just..." I couldn't get it out.

Talking to him never seemed hard. This topic in particular proved challenging. There's no telling what he was going to say in response. He may look at me like I'm some crazy person overthinking a stupid kiss. How childish do you have to be to get so worked up over such trivial matters? It didn't change that I wanted answers as to why. Ace is the only one to know and yet, I already look like a fool without even asking him the question. It was pathetic.

Ace licked his lips with a knowing glare. "Reign...is there something you want to say?" He wondered. "Maybe about a certain kiss."

My eyes widened when he said it. I didn't expect him to say it outright. We haven't mentioned the kiss to each other since it happened. In fact, it didn't even feel like he remembered it with the way he never said anything. As much as I've been avoiding him, it's not like he tried to bring it up to me either. Maybe that was his way of forgetting about it and now I just reminded him.

I'm always putting my foot in my mouth but studying his face, he didn't seem to mind. The amusing glint in his eyes told me everything I needed to know as far as how he felt. This wasn't an uncomfortable matter for him. It looked as though he was waiting for me to say something. He had to have known that it was eating me up inside. Or he just likes to play pranks on me. That's been our relationship since we've met so it's not out of the realm.

Not answering, Ace stopped, walking in front of me to block my path. His towering presence was a lot to take in but all I wanted was to wrap myself in his arms. Take in his scent to fill my body with that comforting feeling I always get when I did. Ace was everything a girl could dream of. Even if there was still so much to know about him. Including his plot to get revenge for his dad. It didn't make me any less intrigued.

Slowly, I looked up at him still nervous to say anything about it. "Well...maybe," I admit with rather red cheeks.

That made him laugh but not in an evil way. "Does it truly bother you? I wouldn't have asked if I knew it would." He was always so understanding.

My head shakes rapidly. "No...it's not that it bothers me," I say. "It was enjoyable in every way but I..." I sighed again. "Why? W-why did you ask me?"