Duan Jiayan initially came out to have fun. As he did not have dinner before this and he was tired from the running, when they passed by a food street, he pointed it out to Lu Xingci and the both of them decided to stop here.

They entered a wonton shop and sat down.

Lu Xingci was not hungry so he sat by and watched Duan Jiayan eat. Perhaps because the food was still hot, Duan Jiayan was eating the wontons very slowly.

Over time, there were marathon runners that passed them by.

Lu Xingci noticed Duan Jiayan looked as if he was amused by the group of people running past them. He asked, “Are you feeling better?”

“It’s okay,” Duan Jiayan kept his gaze. “Are we still running later?”

“We’ll continue running if you want to.”

Duan Jiayan nodded and continued eating.

“Why were you unhappy tonight?” Lu Xingci asked in a casual tone. “Are you able to tell me?”

“……” After a long while, Duan Jiayan looked down and mumbled. “It’s not much actually, my mom just moved to Hai City. My mom and dad divorced when I was young and she was the one that raised me up.”

He was a little vague in his explanation and although he tried to downplay it, anyone could see the impact it had on him.

Lu Xingci fell silent.

It was not appropriate for him to comment on other family’s matters. He had previously more or less guessed the reason for Duan Jiayan’s moodiness and was unsure of whether he should broach the topic or not. In the end, his need to better understand the other’s emotions prevailed.

However, he now truly regretted opening his mouth and asking Duan Jiayan about the matter.

The situation was worse than he expected.

“you…”He opened his mouth and was just about to speak when… ”

l was just a little annoyed when I returned to school,” Duan Jiayan interrupted him. “I’m feeling better now.”

He saw Lu Xingci looking at him warily and took the initiative to change the topic, “It’s almost 10 0’clock and you’re not home yet, won’t your mom say something?”

“I gave her a heads up already,” Lu Xingci seemed to have remembered something and added in an indescribable tone. “She was initially quite angry.”

Duan Jiayan immediately raised his head up to look at him.

“Then I told her that I am accompanying her daughter-in-law,” His eyes curved up, speckles of light evident in his eyes. “And she was not angry any longer. She even told me that it’s better to not go home.”

With how improper he was being, it’s obvious he’s lying.

Duan Jiayan met Lu Xingci’s gaze for a few seconds. For some unknown reason, his chest started to heat up. Duan Jiayan shifted his gaze away and spoke frantically, “Aren’t you lying? The one you’re accompanying is your desk mate.”

Lu Xingci did not refute him.

He only smiled as he looked at him, as if he was looking at a child that was trying to remain calm and composed.

Duan Jiayan suddenly realised that ever since they’ve met, this boy seemed to do everything with a lot of certainty.

Including the matter of chasing him.

As long as he took one step back, Lu Xingci was able to hold onto his weak points.

Even though Lu Xingci was always hot on his heels, his actions had never made him truly resistant to him before.