14. Jealous

"Why in the hell- ? Sir. Mephisto, why do I share my room with Amaimon?"

I grit my teeth as I look at Amaimon, who was playing on a console on the other side of his room. He looked aloof, as he was upside down on the bed, his legs swinging in the air.

Do demons have something against being normal for one singular moment?

I thought for a moment that I would have a private dorm, but no. My room is connected to Amaimon's by a doorway... that doesn't even have a door. I painfully stare at the open way. How did his room even appear in this place?

I struggled against myself, trying not to yell at Mephisto, who was on the other end of the call. My hands are trembling as I hold onto the phone.

Mephisto chuckled sweetly; I could almost hear the demonic smirk plastered on his face through the phone.

"Ah, I could not help it. My little brother was insistent on the matter~." Mephisto cooed, and I glared at the green-haired demon who was ignoring this entire conversation. This is about you, for God's sake.

I can't be with him like this. He'll eat me alive.

A strong shiver travels down my spine as I think of it. I'm not sure if I hate the thought of him eating me alive. That's a whole problem all on its own that I'm not willing to accept.

"I think you just don't want to deal with him." I state without holding back, and regret immediately washes over me. I heard an eerie silence in the phone call; I could almost feel the tension. He had that effect even over the phone.

Mephisto didn't like the human who didn't even use honorifics while speaking to him. A demon king of much higher stature than any other in Assiah.

I almost click my tongue, and I quickly add, "I mean, sir. Mephisto Pheles..." I could hear Mephisto sigh loudly in his ever-lighthearted tone, which easily made the hairs on the back of my neck rise.

"Don't forget your place, dear. Amaimon is a king; you should be nothing but honoured that he has taken such a keen interest in you~!" Mephisto sounded quite serious, even threatening. I don't think I've ever heard his voice become so low. Demons have too much pride in themselves.

My face contorted into a scowl. Mephisto put emphasis on the word 'interest', and I knew why. He wanted to reiterate his earlier point. Amaimon doesn't love me, or maybe even care for me. I didn't love him, but Mephisto making this point made me feel a mix of humiliation and frustration that seemed to make my entire soul burn.

I couldn't say anything back to Mephisto. This conversation was finished, and I had completely lost my chances at a peaceful life. But maybe due to God's grace, Mephisto added gleefully:

"I've also made arrangements so that you can still study comfortably while with my naughty brother~. Now he cannot enter your room without your explicit permission! Hooray~!" I sigh out in relief at Mephisto's joyful words.

Thank you, Lord. I won't become Amaimon's nightly meal yet.

"Thank you, sir. Mephisto Pheles." As our conversation comes to a delighful, final end, I close the phone and sigh, rubbing my face roughly red. Big brother can be real scary when he wants to be.

It's not Amaimon that's the issue—maybe just a little bit. But the bigger issue is our earlier conversation and our deal. I squinted my eyes at him suspiciously. Will he use our deal to hurt me if I don't do what he says? Yet deep inside, I also knew he preferred to ask for consent.

He made it clear last night. I start to feel hotter as I again fall victim to the memories of our heated night together. My eyes scatter around my room, and I quickly try to think of something else.