Chapter XI: Bushes of Thorns

Start from the beginning

"He didn't. I'm under the impression he wants you to make the next move."

Nightshade glanced at the radar. After a few moments, he replied, "..In that case, I want you to lead a small force after Stelora's group." Cobolt, despite his best efforts, visibly tensed, much to Nightshade's satisfaction. "Do you not believe you can handle this mission?"

How dare you.

"Tch. Of course I can. That's a foolish question." The blue nightcap scoffed. "Excellent." Then, Nightshade's eyes turned darker. "Do not dare to return empty-handed. We cannot afford mistakes."

It wasn't an empty threat. Though Cobolt was valuable with Moonshine, he doubted they would hesitate to place him on the chopping block. To rot away in the cell beside his very own sister.. how the thought chilled his core.

"I'm aware," he said coolly.

"Good." Nightshade nodded.

"Flamethrower also requested a progress update."

The larger nightcap tore himself from the monitor, pacing the room as he spoke.

"We're still only in possession of the Garnet, and if you count the zombie, one half of the Quartz. Not much development has been made in locating the Morganite, nor the Citrine. But that is to be expected. Once we reclaim the stones that were stolen from us, as well as the additional Topaz, we'll have a grand total of nine. That brings us two thirds of the way to opening the Applegate."

The four Lost Gemstones. The Zircon of Wind was being held, the Garnet of Force in their possession, but they had nothing on both the Morganite of Charm and Citrine of Lightning. They hadn't known where the Zircon was before it found its bearer, as some unseen force was stopping the radar from picking it up. The same case was with the Morganite and Citrine, but not the Garnet. Unlike the other three, the Garnet had a recent bearer, that of which the Gem Hunters liberated the Gemstone from.

"Still no leads on the Forgotten Gemstones?"

It was only recently that Flamethrower disclosed the information in regards to the third section of Gemstones. There were the Main, Lost Gemstones, and now, Forgotten Gemstones. They didn't tell him anything about their history, nor any specific details. He only knew there were three of them, and powers considered to be banished dwelled from within..

"That is correct."

Cobolt nodded along.

Liar.

There was a device Stelora told him about. Within it was a Gemstone with a power unlike any other. The power to erase memories. A Gem with an ability so phenomenal, it would only make sense if it were locked away and lost to time. How could it not be one of the Forgotten Gemstones Flamethrower and Nightshade seemingly had no information on? Cobolt wondered what he could do if he got his hands on that power.

It was a passing thought, at first, but as more and more days went by, the idea seemed all the more promising. With a Gemstone, he would finally be able to protect everything he loved.

"You'd best pick up the pace," he said. "I don't want to be wilted by the time this is all set and done."

Nightshade laughed. It was hollow. Fake.

From being with the Gem Hunters for so long, Cobolt had learned to conceal his emotions. To hide his true intentions. He'd evidently grown quite skilled at it, as Nightshade proved unable to detect the malice behind his eyes. The red-hot rage boiling at a steady pace beneath the surface was something he was forced to put a lid on time and time again. He longed for the day he could unleash it, igniting those who'd wronged him and Serenia.