Chapter III: One Step Closer

Willow once again plopped down on the dungeon floor. But instead immediately of getting to work on her latest painting in progress, her gaze drifted up to the zombie in the cell. Rather, the passenger he carried.

Herbivores, naturally, made Willow nervous. It was already enough being in a room with a rival species that was supposed to be long gone. But a rabbit? It was almost too much for her to handle.

As if noticing her apprehension, the zombie lifted it out of his scarf, and held it as close as he could to the cell bars.

"This is Estrella. She's a baby jackalope," he said. "A jackalope is a creature that resembles both an antelope and a rabbit. Though a jackalope's diet consists of plants, there is no need to be afraid."

It was the most Willow had heard him speak so far, so she made an attempt to push her fear away.

"H-How do you know that..?" she asked.

The zombie paused, as if contemplating whether or not he wished to disperse that information. It was strange—zombies were depicted as empty-headed beings, but the one before Willow seemed to be the complete opposite.

"They're gentle, intelligent creatures, and recognize sentience when met with it—even from a young age. Would you like to observe?"

The peashooter was unsure what would happen if she agreed, so that's exactly what she did. The zombie said something Willow didn't catch to the jackalope. He lowered her to the floor, and she hopped away. Her breath hitched when the bunny easily slipped through the bars, approaching the plant.

It grew closer and closer until it was within range. The entire world stopped when the jackalope nibbled on Willow's leaves. That was it. That was the end. Her life was about to be over, gone to a plant eater. The worst way to go out. However, something unexpected happened when Willow flinched away. Estrella retreated, back to the zombie in an instant.

"That was her way of giving you a handshake, and yet you've gone and frightened her. The zombie sighed at Willow as he scooped up his pet.

I've frightened her?

"Herbivores, on the norm, are not these violent, malicious creatures. They're merely trying to get through life, just as we all are. I only know so much about the kingdoms, but through my limited interactions with the residents, I know you all live in fear of these critters. If you would simply take the time to look, you would find beauty in their fragile lives."

Willow could hardly believe the one responsible for such a curious outlook was the same one belonging to a people known for plant genocide.

"Do you have a name?" she found herself wondering aloud.

"It's Astrophelle," he said. Then, "Why are you doing this?"

Willow tilted her head. "Doing what?"

"Speaking to a zombie."

"Oh." Due to his openly scrutinizing gaze, Willow felt the nerves begin to creep up on her. It was like, if she didn't answer honestly, he would know. "I, um, just wanted to see if zombies are really like everyone says they are."

"Well?"

"Well, so far, it's either you're an exception, a really good actor, or we plants have made major misconceptions about you all."

Astrophelle gave nothing away as he continued with, "Willow.. would you mind answering another question?"

<><><>

Aureate felt a great weight lifted off her, with the secret being out. In the long run, she had no idea how any of them would take it. But as of then, they had yet to rashly go and blow the zombie's head off, which she would take any day. It was early morning, so she supposed she would be alone. One could imagine her surprise when she entered the commons to find Flare and Harmonia already there.