Chapter V: Turning Point

"Let's see here.." Lloyd proceeded to casually list off everything on the menu before asking Astrophelle what he wanted. "I exclusively eat PopSmarts. Do you have any of those?" Astrophelle asked.

"I can bake some, if you want." The super brainz offered. Astrophelle raised both brows. "You can make PopSmarts?" he didn't realize he was gaping until Lloyd laughed at him. PopSmarts were a pastry found in the convenience stores of Zomburbia. Unfortunately, because they were Zomboss' favorite, he monopolized them, and therefore were outrageously expensive for everyone who didn't make a bountiful income. So, to be able to make PopSmarts..

"I can make all sorts of things. PopSmarts are no biggie!" He puffed out his chest proudly, then encouraged Astrophelle and Lloyd to take a seat. They sat at a table for two. The entire restaurant was empty except for them. Figures–everyone else is most likely hiding in their homes.

"Are you the cook I've heard those rumors about?" Astrophelle decided to ask. Lloyd, meanwhile, was coloring in the menu he got. It looked like it was made for cadets. "Maybe. The name's Elliot Storen," the zombie called from the kitchen. There was a window in the wall where customers could see everything Elliot was doing.

"Are you the only one who cooks here, Chef Storen?" he rose from his chair, striding across the room to peer into the kitchen through the window. "A curious one, are you? So many questions." Elliot chuckled. Lloyd was quick to drop his coloring activity and joined the two. "How about we trade? I'll answer your questions if you answer mine."

Astrophelle looked at Lloyd, who shrugged as if to say, what could it hurt?

"Sure."

"Is that bunny real?"

Oh, stars. Estrella was poking her head out of Astrophelle's scarf, sniffing the air curiously. Astrophelle bit his lip, looking at Lloyd again, who nodded. They both felt they could trust Elliot, then.

"Yes, but she's not a bunny, and her name is Estrella," Astrophelle said. He was trying to analyze Elliot's expression, but the chef's head was down, so he couldn't see very well. "Our turn now. You have yet to answer my query from earlier."

Elliot glanced upwards. "No, I'm not the only one who cooks here. Someone stops by to help everyone now and then." He walked away from the fryer to start rolling out some dough at another counter. "What is Estrella?"

"Estrella is a jackalope," the astronomer was being vague on purpose. His goal was to draw this out as long as possible. "Who is this 'someone' who helps you out?"

"Name's Violeta. She's a lower-class space cadet, far as I know." Elliot muttered the last part, but Astrophelle still caught it. Lloyd seemed to as well, seeing as how tension began to gather in his forehead.

"How did you get Estrella?"

The air thickened.

When his partner hesitated, Lloyd took it upon himself to answer. "We broke into a lab and rescued her!" He exclaimed quite boastfully. Astrophelle jabbed Lloyd in the side, causing him to yelp. Elliot looked at them oddly.

"How well do you think you know this Violeta?"

"Pretty well. We're good friends. Now, can you tell me more about what your friend there said? About you breaking into a lab?"

"I'm afraid I cannot–"

"Churro, don't be like that. He's feeding us and giving us shelter. The least we can do is tell him about our situation." Lloyd interrupted. Astrophelle wanted to glare at him and refuse, but Lloyd gave him a pleading look, and he caved.

So, he began to recount the events of the previous night in full, as Lloyd would do it himself if he did not. The details about Lloyd being a Gembearer, them both being fugitives, and the like. The whole time, he never saw Elliot give them a single look of a judgment. He quietly worked, attentively listening until Astrophelle was finished speaking. The zombie aforementioned wasn't sure how much time had passed, but it was enough for Elliot to finish their meals.