Chapter 9

When Dong Jiayu finally received a call back, the expression on her face almost became unbearable.

"What's the matter?" Zhao Qiuying's voice came from the other end.

Dong Jiayu smiled and said, "Nothing much; I just want to ask you how the recording of the program went. I know Producer Liang very well, so if there is anything you need help with..."

Suddenly, Zhao Qiuying lost interest in continuing the conversation. He slid his phone screen and replied softly, "Hmm, everything is going smoothly. No need for assistance."

Zhao Qiuying's manners were always flawless, so Dong Jiayu didn't sense anything unusual in his tone.

Taking the fruit juice from her assistant, Dong Jiayu changed the subject playfully: "I called your brother earlier, but he didn't pick up. So when I called you, you said you were busy. I thought I might have offended you guys somewhere..."

Zhao Qiuying's hand paused while scrolling through the screen.

It stopped at a comment from a marketing account:

【A girl became famous overnight? Debuting with a suona? No, I don't think so. Let me analyze for you how Miss Jiang managed to get a script and win the favor of the program group...】

Zhao Qiuying didn't finish reading, but a hint of displeasure arose within him.

She was so close to him at the time, so no one knew better than him that she was obviously not acting according to a script.

"..." Hearing the strange silence from the other end, Dong Jiayu's expression froze for a second. Didn't they often joke like this? So why isn't he responding?

"Zhao..." Dong Jiayu barely began to speak when Zhao Qiuying quickly grabbed the phone and said, "Why didn't my brother answer your call? You should know why, shouldn't you?"

Zhao Qiuying's tone remained calm, but Dong Jiayu sensed a hint of coldness beneath.

"Sorry, I have something to do." Zhao Qiuying quickly hung up the phone.

The manager on the side was bewildered, wondering what was going on.

Zhao Qiuying then asked, "Has Mr. Cheng returned to China?"

The manager murmured, "For someone like Mr. Cheng, how would I know his whereabouts?"

Zhao Qiuying didn't inquire further; he just muttered, "Most likely."

Dong Jiayu didn't give up. She quickly sent another text message: 【I don't know why you're not in a good mood, but your brother specifically instructed me to take care of you. I'll come as a guest when you have the second evaluation of the talent show. Rest early.】

At first glance, her temper seemed unusually good in this text message.

After closing her phone, Dong Jiayu furrowed her brows for a while until the assistant beside her said, "Ms. Wang is here."

The "Ms. Wang" mentioned by the assistant was Dong Jiayu's manager.

Carrying an LV bag, Sister Wang hurriedly walked in and sat down, asking, "Did you make plans with Mr. Cheng?"

Dong Jiayu's expression was briefly strange, but she quickly smiled casually. "He must be busy..."

Sister Wang knew in her heart that they hadn't made plans.

"How about calling again and trying?"

Dong Jiayu shook her head. "Forget it; let's not bother him. He just returned to the country a couple of days ago."