If I Could

"Tell me why I agreed to this?" I say while running out of breath. I slam the tennis ball with my racket. "Indoor tennis? What the fuck, Lacey?"

She swings, missing the ball. She drops her racket as the sweat drips down her face. She places her hands on her knees and bends down to catch her breath. We both are dressed in tennis outfits. White, cute, skirts, tight shirts, and even the little visor hat thingy's.

"You know!" She holds up a finger and I can't help but laugh when I see her scrunched nose. "Hannah! You have a vulgar mouth!"

I shrug my shoulders and reach down for my water bottle. "I'm aware. Fucker!"

"You're like..." She pauses and sucks in another breath. "The opposite of our friend group...kind of. You swear a lot. You're voted most likely to succeed in life while we aren't. You...when you have a man, enjoy sex a little too much. Your sex drive is extremely high. I honestly don't know how you've gone this long without it, except for 'Mr. Secret' which I am bound and determined to find out who he is. Because you have this radiating glow to you that tells me you do like him!"
"I don't like him. And honestly, I don't know how you could think I do like him. Lace! I can't even remember his fucking name! It was a one-night stand and I regret it."

She has that look on her face. I know that fucking look! She doesn't believe me, but she's going to play it off as she does believe me and when I least expect it, she will bust me in a lie. Then I will spill my guts out. Not this time. I am not losing my best friend because her dad and I have created this world of our own that I have to allow a comet to bash into the fucker!

"Mm-hmm..." She slowly nods her head with her eyebrows almost hitting the top of her head. The expression on her face is 'I-Don't-Believe-You' and I've seen that expression too many times in our life.

"Hannah. I'm not dumb. Whoever you slept with. You're hiding it. It's okay. If you're embarrassed. If he was someone you woke up to and said 'holy shit, what did I do' or if he was older, or nerdy, or not your type. It's okay. I won't keep asking. I get it!"

If she only knew it was her father. This would be a much different conversation. I believe it wouldn't even be a conversation. I think it would be her jumping over the net and attacking me. She will beat the shit out of me if she ever finds out. And I can always deny it.

She tosses up the ball and whacks it with her racket. The ball flies over the net and I whack it without issue. I'm honestly pretty good at tennis. And I am not a person to normally does the 'sports' thing.

The ball flies in her direction, she hits it, and it comes right back my way. Again, I don't miss and the ball flies over the net, reaching her. She hits it.

"So..." She smacks the ball again. "With your sex drive and the way you are. Have you found anyone yet? Because I might have a date for you."

I tilt my head, lean in, and swing to hit the ball. "How? Who? And yes, I'd be interested."

Fuck! At this rate, I just need someone so I can forget about Ryan!

"You know Jake! Dark beautiful eyes. Shoulder-length hair and jet black! Beautifully sculpted body!"

"I do know Jake!" I admit. "I'm not into Jake. But he is cute, and I need to get laid. Sure!"

"Yay!" She cheers in her bubbly tone. "Good! Because I promised him, I'd try getting him a date with you tonight."

"Tonight?"