Lonely

The restaurant is busier than shit. I can hardly keep up with taking orders. The bright side is that whenever we get this busy, I make enough tips to put toward my college fund.

Mike, Rochelle, and Kristi are all rushing to make drinks behind the bar. The two new waitresses are hardly keeping up. I am a pro at this, so I have no trouble taking orders and making money. My tables are ten to one versus the newbies.

It's Friday evening so it makes sense for the restaurant to be swamped. The crowds of people want to enjoy their evening and what better way to do it than one of the best places to eat in this city?

Mike slides the drinks on a tray for my table. "I still can't believe that lucky ass gets another week in Cabo!"

"Ugh!" I say in a whiney tone. "I know. Lacey was supposed to be home Monday. But her mom and her boyfriend decided on an extra week. And luckily for Lacey, she has a job that doesn't give a shit if she takes a week off! She's fucking lucky!"

Mike continues taking orders from the other waitresses. "I am going to Bermuda in a few months. Maybe I will stay an extra week!"

"You do that!" I chuckle and turn around to take the drinks to the table.

Every part of me now believes Ryan knows what he did. And I say that because he's been gone this entire week. I haven't seen him once and Lacey even noticed he's been gone. She called me yesterday asking if I've seen him and he has his location on that family app they all share. So, I know damn well Lacey only called me to verify he wasn't home.

I found out from Claire that there is no way to forget about what Ryan did to me...and what I did to him. The only bright side to this is it's still blurry on exactly how it went down...or he went down. So that's a plus. Other than that, everything else is a negative.

"Are you okay?" Mike asks. Mike is the type of gay guy who has a radar for sad or confused people. He's quick to point out when I'm having a bad day. He's also quick to point out when something doesn't seem right with me.

"I'm good!" I say in a bubbly tone and force a larger-than-needed smile. "Why?"

"You just seem like...I don't know. There is something different about you and I can't figure it out...wait!" His eyes widen and dance with excitement. "Did you finally get laid?"

I giggle and shake my head 'No'. "Not yet. I will eventually."

"Okay...I feel like you're lying to me, but I know you always tell me the truth, so I will leave it at that for now."

"I mean it." I defend myself. "I haven't gotten laid yet. Soon enough, hopefully. I've had a couple of people close to me in mind. And you will be the first I tell!"

"Seriously?" He questions. "Because you always tell Lacey everything first. She is your bestest of best friends!"

"I promise I will tell you first."

"Oh..." I hear Ryan's voice from behind me. "You're working tonight?"

I spin around while my heart drops into my twisting stomach. I instantly go into 'frozen mode' and have no idea what to say. I haven't seen Ryan since the day after our 'incident' and I'm positive he's purposely staying away. It's awkward as fuck just looking at him right now.

"Hey..." I struggle to speak. "How is the wind...I mean...let me get you a table. How many?"

"Just me and Roger tonight." His tone is soft, and he looks just as nervous as I feel.