Chapter 1

I shook her. Her eyes remained closed. The sound of the flatline. Doctors dragging me away from her. The fresh tears running down my red cheeks. The warmth of Evan. The cold of my father.

It was all too much.

The pain, the grief. Sucking me in, like a vacuum cleaner. Dumped in the trash. Left all alone. Sinking deeper and deeper and deeper....

"Erin?"

My eyes popped open.

"You fell asleep again. Honestly, I don't even know how you can fall asleep on a motorcycle ride," Jack turned his head, his warm brown eyes staring into mine.

"Are you sure you don't wanna come to my place? I mean, it's better than staying here, with him," Jack offered, looking up at my house, just in front of us. I got off from the motorcycle.

Thanks, but my father will get punish me if I stay at a friend's house, considering he'll probably think I'm asking for help.

I've known sign language since I was a kid. And since I couldn't find another way of communication, other than my trusty old notebook, sign language it is. My father and Evan learned it a long time ago so they could also communicate with me. Jack too.

And my mother.

It still hurts thinking about her.

Once upon a time, four of us was a loving and happy family. We travelled the world, despite my disability. Until one day, we were relaxing in the Canadian beach, when we were hit by a tsunami.

I didn't know how to swim and was caught in the current. My mother was safe, managed to get onto a piece of floating debris, while I was bobbing up and down in the rough waves.

She ignored the risk, jumped right in, and pulled me to the debris. She made sure I got on top of it first. But when I looked back, my mother was gone.

All I saw was her hand, floating above the waves, sinking with the rest of her body. I could feel necklace hanging around my neck losing energy and becoming heavy. Metaphorically speaking.

News reports had indicated that these abnormal weather reports were connected to the ongoing planetary alignment. That's why my family and I were there, to see if we can spot anything happening in the sky due to it.

Alas, none of us were expecting the tragedy that was going to befall upon us.

At her eulogy, I had nothing to say. Or sign, for that matter. I thought because of my speaking incapability, I'd be able to escape this, but in the end, I did have something to sign.

On this day, though I will become the the daughter of John Storm only, I will never stop being your daughter, mother. I am not going to say something cheesy like "I'm going to make you proud" or "I love you". Instead, I will just make a simple promise. I will never stop glowing, just like you. I will never let my incapabilities stop me. I am Erin Storms, daughter of Rebecca and John Storm. I am mute from birth and I am proud of it.

So yeah, back to the present. I looked back at Jack and thanked him in ASL. He smiled back, put on his helmet and zoomed off.

I took in a deep breath as I opened the door to my house.

There he was. Lying on the sofa, with beer cans in his hands. The TV playing the news report of the tsunami playing. He still hasn't gotten over it. That night when the news played, he recorded it, watching it every single day on loop.

The noise of my footsteps reached his ears as he turned to look at me.

He slowly got to his feet and walked over to me. His palm then forcefully met my face as he gave me a tight slap. My cheeks stung.

"Did you tell anyone!? I told you not to tell anyone! I heard the motorcycle outside. It's that boy isn't it? How dare you tell him about this!?"

Obviously, he doesn't actually know I told him. He just assumes that whoever I hang out with knows about how he's been treating me. And he's just using it as an excuse to abuse me even more.

I really wished Evan was here with me. He'd stand up for me and protect me. After my mom had died, he left a few days later for college. And we barely keep in touch anymore.

I didn't tell him! I didn't tell anyone! And why can't I? It's my right, my freedom! I wish you had died instead of mom! I don't want to deal with your bullshit anymore!

Angry tears formed in my eyes. I was sick and tired of being treated unfairly. He had done nothing but treat me like I'm his servant! Used, abused, and left for scrap!

"What did you just say?" He raged.

I said, I wish you had died instead of mom! I-

At that moment, he punched me. I fell to the floor, grabbing my nose in pain. I felt blood. He started beating me up.

"YOU KNOW, I NEVER EVEN WANTED TO KEEP YOU! WHEN I FOUND OUT YOU WERE MUTE WHEN YOU WERE BORN, I WANTED TO ABANDON YOU! I WANTED TO KILL YOU! BUT NO- YOUR MOTHER INSISTED ON KEEPING YOU, AND YOU REPAID HER KINDNESS BY KILLING HER! IF YOU DIDN'T EXIST, SHE WOULD STILL BE ALIVE! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT FOR DOING THIS!"

Fresh tears ran down my cheeks.

And the hole grew wider. And wider. Until it was as big as the mother-shaped hole in my heart. Another new hole formed. The hole of my father. It was stretching into Evan, almost turning into a hole. Now, the only thing keeping my heart from becoming completely empty, was my only best friend, Jack.

I didn't regret saying that to him. It was time he knew about what I felt about him. I started feeling dizzy.

For the past three months, I haven't been getting enough food and water. I eat at least one food item a day and only drink about one cup of water. My father didn't pay the water bills, so our water supply was cut off. Evan has been taking care of my school and the electricity bills for us, which I'm forever grateful for.

The tiredness and the nutrient deficiency is getting to me now.

Then came the hardest hit I ever felt. I don't know what he used, but it sure knocked me out. I heard metal clanging to the floor as I collapsed to the ground. The smell of my own blood filling my nose.

And then, my view went dark. I happily accepted it, hoping that it would take me away from the madness and chaos surrounding me.

A/N: hi to all readers of this book. I hope everyone enjoyed reading the first chapter! I know it's quite short, but trust me. It'll get better. At least, I hope so.

So yeah. Enjoy the rest of the book :D