221 - 230

Chapter 221

Xiao He's face was ugly as he gritted his teeth and said, "Are you playing with me?"

Qiao Ying replied: "Why would I need to?"

Seeing Qiao Ying's calm expression, Xiao He fell silent.

He sat there wordlessly, seemingly lost in thought. After a while, he asked somewhat feebly: "Where did you see him?"

Qiao Ying said: "I've never seen him before."

Xiao He frowned and glared at her, his anger rising to a boil.

Qiao Ying added: "I've only seen photos of him."

Xiao He demanded: "What photos? Where did they come from?"

Qiao Ying explained: "A friend showed them to me. My friend was very close with your brother."

Xiao He pressed: "Where's this friend now? And the photos?"

Qiao Ying stated plainly: "My friend died and the photos are gone."

Xiao He exclaimed angrily: "You!"

If Qiao Ying wasn't a girl, Xiao He would have definitely started a fight with her already.

Qiao Ying retorted bluntly: "Believe it or not."

Xiao He was so furious he could hardly breathe.

He seemed unable to process this sudden news. All the way to the hospital for his checkup, he didn't say another word.

The kicks Xiao He took at the club didn't fracture any bones, just left two nasty bruises. They definitely hurt though.

Xiao He sat bare-chested while the nurse tended to his injuries.

Qiao Ying stood to the side, her gaze sweeping over Xiao He's body. He had many old wounds and several knife scars. The injuries from the recent steel pipe beating were also visible, looking quite horrific.

After leaving the hospital and getting back into the car, Xiao He asked calmly: "When did he die and how? Also, why did your friend die too?"

"I don't know. As for my friend, it's not convenient to explain the details of her death," Qiao Ying replied.

Another stretch of silence followed before Xiao He spoke again, his tone less icy: "Did he live well while alive?"

Qiao Ying said: "I suppose so."

Xiao He questioned: "Did he know he had a younger brother?"

Qiao Ying responded: "Unclear. So I can't say for certain that you are his brother. I didn't know much about him personally. I only heard my friend mention him before. We never got the chance to meet."

Xiao He looked at her and said: "So your random kindness towards me is purely because of him?"

Qiao Ying was blunt: "If not for my friend, why would I bother with your business?"

Xiao He pressed: "What if I just happen to look like him but I'm not actually his brother?"

Qiao Ying's hands gripped the steering wheel. She stated simply: "The resemblance is enough," then quickly changed her tune, "Though hopefully your brother is still alive and well."

Xiao He casually asked: "Was your friend male or female?"

Qiao Ying said: "Female."

Xiao He continued lightly: "Were you two very close? Otherwise why care so much about her friend's potential brother when there's no proof?"