"Montana, Frankie Montana."

"Jesus Christ, Alessa. You need to stop fucking taking money from the till. I'll get in shit, not you." I whispered.
"Oh I'm so scared an eighty year old Italian baker will give me in trouble for taking a couple extra euros from the till." She said sarcastically.
"No Alessa, the fucking police. Not Cecilio."
She smirked at me.

I hate when she does this, she likes to take extra euros home from the till without permission, it's not fair because it'll be me who has to replace the money she took. She acts like she is still eighteen, she needs to wake up and smell the coffee. I am so surprised she still has a job here after all the shit she did...does. It's a shame because Mr Amuro is such a nice old man, he has run this bakery for years. Yeah he still makes the bread, no one else. We just work here at the tills. He sells homemade jams and sometimes soup.

This store can be very popular, mostly around noon. It's cheap here so workers can come here for lunch. The store is right beside a huge set of offices. Plus it's really nice and friendly in here, I've always felt welcome. Well I might just be me because Cecilio and my Nonno are very close since they were boys. They lived in the same set of houses and their mothers always would have a bitch about others with a glass of wine every Monday and Friday night. It was Cecilio who taught me to make bread. I was six and my Nonno took me to visit him and he taught me, I managed to go home pure white all I can remember is my mother screaming about my clothes getting covered in flour, my Nonno told her to lay off and I remember staying at his overnight.

He didn't get on with my Mama he could never understand why my Papa loved her. He always says that he wishes that he would have found a nicer daughter in-law, however he knew that deep down she was a broken soul. He would always tell me that she was beautiful, which she is and that I look just like her but better because I have his dark brown hair and chocolate eyes.

I don't remember my father that much, he was always at work, I still to this day don't have any clue to what his job was. Although my Nonno will never let me forget that he loved me.
I've worked in this same bakery since I was sixteen. I only work here still because I am studying at uni and I still need the money. Plus this is only thing I've ever known.

"Carmen, Carmen. I have a job for you." Said Mr Amuro from the kitchen.
"Do you want me to come through or are you coming?" I said back.
Then I heard slow foot steps walking into the room. Like I said he was old, he has a walking stick and walks really slowly.
"Are you okay?" I said walking towards him to help.
"I don't need help, I'll be fine caro." He smiled.
I stood back walked towards the till, shooing Alessa. She walked into the bathroom.
I sat on the counter to free the small seat for him.
He laughed.
"So what might be the problem Mr Amuro?"
"I have a small job I need you to handle."

He slowly started to sit down.
"Yeah, what is it?"
"How is your Nonno?" He said changing the subject.
"He is good, yeah. So what is the job?"
"I need you to be scarce for the next hour or so..."
"Why? If you don't mind me asking."
"I will be having a meeting, it's about your Papa."
"What did he do?"
"He owed money. That's all I am saying."
"How much?"
"Carmen, don't ask questions you won't like the answer to."
"Sorry."
"No, no don't be sorry. Just do as I say, please for your sake."
"Will Nonno be there?"
"Yeah amore. No more questions, let's go and make some bread." He smiled and placed his hand on my knee. I smiled back and jumped off the counter. I helped him up and I walked him to the kitchen.

The kitchen is so warm and cosy, there is one large steel oven and huge bags of flour. It wasn't tiny but it wasn't that big, it was just perfect. He has loved this kitchen for sixty years.
"Uh Carmen, you are needed." Alessa shouted.
I looked at Cecilio and he smiled, he was sort of giving me permission to go. I walked back into the front room, a tall man standing at the till.
"What's the problem?" I asked, I smiled at him.
He smiled back then looked at his phone.
"He wants to pick up." Alessa giggled.
I looked at her angrily.

"What's the name?" I asked politely.
"Montana, Frankie Montana." He smiled.
"It's nice to meet you, I'm Carmen Voletta. Do you shop here often?"
"I am here for a special meeting and I thought I would make a meal of it, have you seen Mr Amuro?"
"He is in the kitchen." I picked up his order and handed him it.
"That'll be €7" I smiled.
He took the small golden coins out of his pocket and handed me them. He smiled and took the brown paper bag off the desk, he sat on the small black, round table.