A Hole

The Dungeon Master sat on his chair, checking over the inner workings of his dungeon.

"Good morning, sir!" I greeted Dungeon Master Orkil as I entered his den.

"Good to see you, Harkor," Orkil said, taking a quick glance at me before continuing to write down something.

"Is there a reason you came here today or is it the usual?" He said, remembering all the times I would pick berries from one of the bushes in his den just to make pie.

"The pie can wait." I told him. "I actually wanted to ask you something about the otherworlder."

"I take it you've talked with him?"

"Yes I have"

"So that journal really does have such power." Orkil mumbled as he was finishing his records of the dungeon.

"So, you really didn't make it?"

"I don't have the time nor interest to make such a complicated artifact. Let alone the capabilities to."

"But you did give it to him, right?"

"I gave him the bag and all that was in it. But I never even thought to give him a book. I believed the paper would be enough."

*****

I made my way back to base, put down some of the Glisten Fruit that Harkor gave me on a table, then sat on my bed.

I checked the journal for the 5th Floor's Trial, which was meant to be about intelligence. There was supposedly a minimum Intelligence state required for the trial–Intelligence 5– but I had already exceeded it. (Albeit, only by one)

I thought I should make some other preparations before I headed to the next level for this trial. I had already slept back in the forest so that was all good.

I checked the crafting recipes in my journal (haven't done that in a while) for a recipe for paper and a notebook. Leather was needed for the cover but thankfully the journal showed substitute materials I could use. But I was just going to make the cover out of cloth. (Weird I know but I'll take it)

I took a log, sawed it down to thinner pieces, cut those into smaller bits, made a bowl out of an iron sheet I had leftover, put the bits into the bowl with some water, then lit a fire beneath. Am I forgetting something?

I left that to boil and proceeded to remake some yarn. I would use the yarn to tie the pages together and also make the cloth for the book's cover. I mixed in some Diam Leaf fibres with cotton into the newly made yarn to strengthen it. (It also made it look somewhat like diamond string)

I then spun some of that yarn into cloth and cut it to a size I liked. By then I thought that the paper slurry was done so I checked on it.

Nothing happened. The water with wood bits in it was just boiling water with wood bits in it and not paper slurry. It was then that I realised what I forgot.

Diam Wood... Is fireproof...

And guess what, I have a new task now (Yes, I impulsively grabbed the journal). 'Find Kao Wood.' Its description says that I can find it on the 5th level.

Making a notebook became more of a hassle than I was expecting.

On a side note, after further inspection I found that the journal now has information on crafting materials. Diam Wood's info is just that it's fireproof. Nothing about a melting point. (I don't know, magic or something)

*****

I gave up on the notebook since I thought I'd only be able to make it after finishing the 5th Floor's trial and decided to just stock up on healing potions.