“What are your orders, my lady?” Cross questioned, clicking the pen as he stared at Sera expectantly.

“First, I need more information on this, redemption that Charlie Morningstar talks about. She claims to be able to help sinners redeem, and yet, it was by Sir Pentious' own actions that led him to being redeemed. I give you permission to speak to the princess, but no harm is to come to her, only to those who try to impede your progress.” Cross writes in his notebook at incredible speed as his eyes are sharp, focused, his hand eventually stopping but expecting more for him to write.

“Next, I understand that you had your newly trained apprentice sent down to Hell to investigate the rumor of holy weapons, and that they were killed during the investigation. I'm so sorry…I know she was important to you, as are all who come under your responsibility.” Sera's words hung in the air, with Cross having stopped writing. A look of sadness, and pity, rested on Sera's face as Cross closed his eyes for a moment, nodded, and looked up to meet her gaze with his eyes now showing guilt and pain in his ghostly gaze.

“I thought she was ready, but I was wrong…am I to retrieve the body?”

“Yes, if you can. I am giving you the authority to use any means necessary. An angel deserves to be brought home, rather than be left down there.” Cross moved his pen across the notepad before flipping the paper and writing something else down.

“Last…and this must be done, no matter the cost. Hell's apparent angelic weapons have reached a point where, for the right price, any demon can attain them. I ask for that number to be dwindled as much as possible. You have my permission to complete this task however you may choose.” Sera waited patiently for Cross to stop writing, and when he did, he clicked his pen and folded the notepad in on itself.

“Who else may know of this?” Cross asked, as he tucked the notepad away.

“No one outside of who you trust to keep it to themselves.” Sera stood up first as Cross followed suit, buttoning his trench coat once he fully stood up.

“I understand. May I ask, how is Lute holding up?” Cross asked, watching Sera leave the table and walk to the door.

“Not very well, I'm afraid…do you wish to talk to her?” Sera asked, turning to Cross as she opened the door for him. He nodded as he grabbed his mask and tucked it back under his arm before heading to the door. He stopped at the entrance as he gave another deep bow to Sera who returned it with a small one. With that, he turned and placed the mask over his head before he walked out, leaving Sera to close the door after him.   

Second Act

The ding of an elevator broke the silence on the rooftop as the silver doors opened and out of it stepped Cross. He looked across the rooftop as his eyes observed a black clothed angel, sitting on the ledge of the roof, with a black halo over her head. On her left, a bottle of fine wine sat, unopened. Her left arm missing as well, bandages now covering the stump and stopping the heavy bleeding, brought a depressive aura to the air.

Cross removed his mask, tucking it back under his arm as he went over to the female angel and sat down next to her, not uttering a word nor making any noise whatsoever. The two sat in silence for a while until Cross set down his mask next to him, looking out at the city of Heaven down below himself.

“What do you want, Cross?” The female angel's voice was tough, soaked with sadness, as she kept her gaze forward as well.

“Here to check on you, make sure you are doing alright, Lute.” Cross answered softly, as he peeked at her from out of the corner of his eye.