𝐂𝐡 𝟑𝟖 | 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐦 𝐀𝐫𝐭

"He got her text, and then without a second's thought, he just left the house to meet her

"He got her text, and then without a second's thought, he just left the house to meet her." sighing, Lindsay finished explaining the story of how her romantic serenade with Namjoon was shattered just as quickly as it had started.

"Really?" Laila exclaimed shaking her head in disbelief. "After all that, he just left you all alone?"

Lindsay nodded with a heavy heart as she tore off the page of her notebook on which she had been trying to sketch some drawings to distract herself from the sorrow and anger she felt towards the world. Alas, not even her passion for the arts was able to provide her with a haven from her turmoil of destructive thoughts.

Lindsay and Laila found themselves perched on the weathered cement steps in front of Laila's doorstep under the blazing afternoon sun. The air hummed with the distant melody of car horns and the rhythmic patterns of footsteps on the pavement, as another day of a bustling urban lifestyle unveiled itself.

Laila's heart ached as she was met with the sight of her dear friend slightly sniffling before swiftly wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her baby blue sweater.

"It's just," she sniffled, straightening up a bit from her previous hunched over position while she was furiously sketching out her thoughts. She took a deep breath. "Why does it always have to be her? Why does he always choose her?" Her last words were barely audible. Barely even a whisper and it was laced with such longing.

Laila could only purse her lips as she mulled her friend's words in her head. She finally rested a gentle hand on Lindsay's shoulder, as a reminder that she didn't have to do this alone. "I'm not entirely sure, Lindsay." she whispered, her eyes absentmindedly following the vehicles on the streets as they zoomed by.

"But I know one thing." she said firmly before tilting Lindsay's head to meet her gaze. "I know that Namjoon loves you."

No sooner has these words left Laila's lips did Lindsay simply remove her face from her grasp with a hurt expression glazed across her eyes. Hunching over, she proceeded to doodle more lines and figures on her parchment papers, pretending to ignore the words that her friend had uttered in hopes of comforting her. Yet, they only elevated the sinking sensation in her heart as she knew that the chances of Namjoon falling for her was improbable.

"Look, you have to believe me, Lindsay." Laila desperately tried again, reaching out and gently shaking Lindsay by the shoulder. "Remember when he rescued you from those kidnappers? He risked his life for you, Lindsay. When you were being attacked, he could have just stepped aside and called the cops to handle everything, but he didn't. Instead, he let himself get beaten up, he almost bled to death just to ensure that you wouldn't leave that alleyway with nothing more than a few scratches."

Reaching out across Lindsay's lap, she closed her friend's sketchbook before clasping her face in her hands and making her look into her eyes again. Lindsay's somber soft brown eyes gazed back at hers. Gently taking her hands, Laila gave them a soft and reassuring squeeze.