Chapter 2

I can do this. I can do this, it's just Niall. It's the same Niall that always made sure to hug me so tight when I was sad, just so that I'd feel good again. The same Niall that used to complain about Gemma with me. The same Niall that used to be my best friend. Who supported me through everything. I close my eyes for a second and just think of Ashton, and how he believes that I can do this. 

I open my eyes again and now I'm more determined than ever, to go up to Niall. As usual he's standing with his two 'best friends' and Julia. Even though that makes me nervous all over again, I'm not gonna let that stop me. They can't stop me from getting my best friend back. Unfortunately the same moment I take one step in their direction, they all begin to walk away. I curse under my breath and walk over to my locker instead. My heart is beating quickly and it's now that I realize just how petrified I was about walking up to him. 

I take a few deep breaths to calm down. My phone buzzes in my locker causing me to take it out and look at the text message I just received. 

From: Ashton
Have you talked to him yet? 

I frown a bit because I don't want to disappoint Ashton, but I haven't talked to Niall yet, and I have a feeling in my gut that I'll chicken out when I have a chance to ask him about starting to play football. But I can't chicken out, because Ashton's idea could be my way to stay in Niall's life. And I really really want to stay in his life. 

To: Ashton
No, not yet :(

I stare at my phone for a moment before exiting mine and Ashton's conversation, just to see that I only have four conversations which is quite pathetic to be honest. What's even more pathetic is that it's Ashton, mum, Gemma and Niall. That's it. I can't say that I'm not delighted that Niall and I have a conversation at all. Because I definitely am. I consider myself quite lucky that he even texts me. I click his name and look through our latest conversation. It was about four weeks ago, when Niall wanted to know how many pages the history assignment we had been given, was supposed to be. Our conversations were plain, nowhere near what they used to be. My phone buzz again and Ashton's reply to my text appears on the screen. 

From: Ashton
That's okay, you've got time! Try to find him when he's alone, it'll be easier when he's not with the she-devil ;) Good luck! I know you can do this!

His text warms my heart. I'm so glad that Gemma and Ashton haven't broken up and I really hope they never do. It's kind of a selfish reason, but I don't know what I'd do without him. He gives me such great advice and I can't imagine them not being together. It's just not possible. And the fact that Ashton doesn't like Julia makes everything so much better and so much easier. He always takes my side and scolds Gemma if she ever teases me. He knows my life isn't that easy. 

To: Ashton
Thank you! I'll talk to him :) You're the best!

The bell rings and signals that lunch break is over. All students begin to file into classrooms and I follow their example by walking to my English class. My books are clutched in my hands and with my gaze glued to my own feet I walk as if I'm on autopilot, to my seat at the very back of the classroom. There are already a bunch of students in the classroom and student after student walk in here. Everyone sit down in their seats and some tap away on their phone whilst they still can meanwhile others start to talk to their friends. In this classroom all students sit two and two. In pairs. Everyone has a 'bench buddy'. Except me. I sit alone, but I'm quite content with that. I can just sit there on my own. I can mind my own business and no one even pays any attention to me. It's also nice because I don't have to small talk with someone I don't really like. 

"Hello class!" Mrs Johnson says happily as she enters the room. I don't understand how she can be so gleeful in a place like this? In the place where teenagers think they're so much better than adults. Where teenagers are rude and think they can act however they want. She puts her stuff down on the front desk and looks up at us with a grand smile.