I Follow Rivers

Song - I Follow Rivers - Marika Hackman

All through the night. In the morning. After breakfast. Before dinner.

Every chance we get, we sneak away to wrap around each other. The more I get, the more I want. I feel drunk off of the power. All it takes to bring him to his knees is a single bat of my lashes or a swipe of my tongue over my lower lip.

Each time we do it, I feel bolder, stronger, and more confident.

I can feel his eyes on me as I cut potatoes for breakfast. Ignoring the urge to look back at him, I continue my work.

"Jesus," Mick growls, "if I have to hear the two of you going at it again, I'm going to throw myself overboard."

Gasping, the spoon in my hand drops to the ground, clanging loudly. My cheeks burn bright red as I tuck my chin down to hide my face.

Cooper laughs, loudly. Clearly, he isn't as embarrassed as I am.

I feel a hand at my waist before I'm pulled backward, my body landing in his lap. Still laughing, he places his chin on my shoulder and wraps his arms around me tightly. My hot blush grows as he holds me.

He's never been this openly affectionate in front of the crew. I sleep in his arms each night, but he doesn't usually hold me like this.

The crew, the ship, and the rest of the world melt away. For a brief moment, it's just us, floating in the ocean.

"I have to finish breakfast," I turn to look up at him.

His grip loosens enough for me to slip out and finish cooking, but I can't focus. By the time everything is plated, the potatoes are burned and the eggs are over-fried. All I could focus on is him and how good I want him to make me feel.

"I'm sorry," I grimace as I set the plates on the tables. If they care, no one shows it. The overcooked food is gone in seconds. Everyone jumps up to start their chores. Before breakfast, Captain Cormac gave everyone a few tasks.

I grab my large pot, and turn to take it out to collect water to boil laundry, but Cooper is standing behind me.

"Go into the room. I want you naked and spread wide open for me." He growls, pressing himself into me.

My whole body hums, an instant buzzing beneath my skin.

"Fuck," he groans. "Go."

Running quickly into my room, I tear at my clothes. The door slams closed, and I'm pinned to the wall before I can even turn around.

"I need you all the time." His voice is desperate, as if we didn't do this last night and this morning.

He pulls my pants down and presses my face into the wall. Just as I feel him nudging against me, a loud, angry sound comes from outside in the galley.

"Silver, I'm going to fucking kill you! Get on deck and repair the crow's nests! If we have to listen to the two of you fucking again, I'm going to rip this door from the hinges!" The captain screams as the crashing sound of pots and pans hitting the floor.

He bites into my shoulder, groaning. "We're going to row and tow again. I think the goddess herself is keeping us from the island. I have been on ships my whole life. Never has the sea been this calm. We're not fucking moving."

"Let's go finish our tasks," I spin around and press a kiss to his lips.

"Niamh," the desperation in his voice makes me melt. How am I supposed to wash the laundry with him like this? I can't leave him in this state.

Sliding my hand down over the front of his pants, I grip him against my palm. His body shudders and he presses his forehead into my shoulder.

"It's getting stronger with each day," his voice is hoarse. "Each day closer to the full moon, I'm finding it harder and harder to resist. Just a small bite," he runs the tip of his tongue over the soft skin of my neck. "One little bite, right here."

I can feel his chest trembling.

"I'm hanging on the edge, Niamh. I'm so desperate for it. I can't make heads or tails of it, but it's driving me to insanity. The thought lingers there in my mind all day."

His hands take hold of my arms, holding me painfully tight.

"You can do it," I whisper, and he jerks up, locking our eyes.

His long, canine teeth are visible between his parted lips as he pants for air.

"No," he tears himself away. "What if I hurt you? I can't give into it. I could kill you! I'll go fix the crow's nests. Some space and air that isn't drenched in your scent will help."

He storms out of the room, leaving me alone and flustered. This is the second time I've offered to let him bite me.

Grabbing my pot, I walk out on deck just in time to hear the captain screaming.

"We will make it to that fucking island by dawn if we have to row and tow all night!"

Tucking my head down, I do the laundry as quickly as I can. It's best that I stay as clear of the captain as possible. He's in a foul mood, which always makes his dislike for me even clearer.

After lunch is served, it's Cooper's turn to row. I'm filled with dread. It's grueling work, and I hate that any of them have to do it, but him especially. There is a weight in my chest, knowing how exhausted they are going to be.

Hours pass, dinner is served, the laundry is dried, and the sun has set.

Group after group, they switch off, rowing with the almost nonexistent wind to pull us toward Spain.

Cooper rows once, twice, and three times as I sit in the crow's nest and watch. Bright stars light up the dark sky, and I feel my body starting to drift. I'm engulfed in warmth. The subtle thump of his heart beating vibrates in my chest. Without opening my eyes, I lean in, wrapping my arms around him.

Below us, on the deck, I can vaguely hear shuffling and movement. They're dropping the anchor.

"Did we make it?" I mumble, pressing my face into the warm crook of his neck.

He hums, hugging me tighter.

When sunlight hits my eyes, it feels like only a few seconds have passed.

Sitting up in the crow's nest, I look out over the crystal blue water. In the distance, a small island sits alone.

"Niamh," his raspy whisper catches my attention. "After we return the bone, if I can still feel the beast, I'm going to lie. My father is convinced that we will be released from the curse. We're going to stay on the island for a few nights until the full moon, and while we're there, I want you to stay clear of him."

I nod firmly and duck down, my ear close to his mouth.

"I'm sure everything is going to be fine." He holds my chin in his hand.

"Of course it is." I smile, hopefully convincingly.

⚡️Mark of the Damned is COMPLETE on my Patreon plus unlock access my entire library of over 30 adult romance titles.

Visit patreon.com/MyrandaRae 🧡