Bravado

Song - Bravado by Yoke Lore

Usually, when he rushes away, I sulk for a moment, then move on. Not today.

Jumping up from the floor, I drop my skirt and chase him out the door. He's not in the cabin, so I run out to find him climbing the ladder up to the highest crow's nest. Typically, climbing all the way up is terrifying, and I avoid it at all costs.

Not today.

Rushing after him, I force myself to look at the ladder I'm climbing and not at the way the ship is shrinking below me.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He growls, taking my hand to help me up into the bucket.

"Why did you run away? Did I do something wrong? You leave every time we kiss. Am I doing something wrong?" I didn't realize how emotional saying this out loud would make me.

"Are you crying?" He tips my chin up, but I yank my face away.

"No," I sniffle, "I'm not crying." Not yet.

I wait in silence for him to explain. Each second that goes by, my frustration grows.

"Why do you always rush off?"

He sighs and looks up at the glowing orange sky. "My teeth keep coming out.'

"What?" I jerk to look at him. It looks like he has all of his teeth.

"Not falling out. Wolf teeth..." He stammers. "My wolf teeth come out every time."

"What does that mean?"

"Fuck, Niamh, I don't know." He growls and grabs my shoulders. "Stop looking at me like that!"

"Like what?"

"With that face," he snaps. "I tell you all of this shit that should scare you, and you just sit there. I told you we were cursed by a witch, and now we turn into wolves, and you just believe it!"

"Were you lying?"

"No!" He yells. "But that doesn't mean you should just believe me! You should have run and never looked back at Whitesand!"

When my shoulders sink, he sighs and runs his hands through his hair. I don't know what to say here. No one has ever yelled at me for believing them before.

"I want to bite you." He whispers so quietly that I almost miss it.

"What?" I take the single step worth of distance that I can put between us.

"I can't really explain it. When I kiss you, when I smell you," he rolls his neck. "I get this urge to bite into your neck. I can't control it. The long wolf teeth just sort of, pop out. It has to be you though because it never happens any other time."

"Am I doing something wrong?"

"No." He shakes his head and looks out over the horizon. "I can't explain it. I don't want to hurt you. It's like—" he sighs. "It's like I'm drawn to you. I think it might be the wolf. I'm sure you overheard... we don't have control over the wolves when we change. They take over everything and we're wild. When I was with you, I was in control. I remember everything. Then, I was able to change even though it wasn't a full moon. I think it all has to do with you."

At some point, his hand made its way to my face, holding it, threading it into my hair. When his thumb rubs across my lips, I shiver. I don't know how to respond to what he's just told me. I only know how he makes me feel. Even though I don't understand it, I know I want it. The sensation is warm, full, and terrifying all at the same time.

It feels like a summer day at the creek. We had an old rope swing that dropped over the water. It was always scary to let go, a rush of fear and excitement. A moment, suspended in the air above the water, the sensation of falling, then crashing into the icy stream. Even though I could stand, there was a brief moment of sheer panic, like I could drown. He makes me feel like that. I feel like I could drown, but it's thrilling and it takes my breath away.

"You're doing it again," There is a slight bite to his voice, a raspy growl in his throat.

"Doing what?"

"Looking at me like that..."

His soft lips take mine. It's unlike any other kiss thus far. It's all tenderness. His hand holds my face steady as his tongue gently slips between my lips. The familiar heat that always blooms in my chest when he touches me, spreads through my body.

"Girl," the captains booming voice from below us stops our moment short. "Get down here. The men need a hearty breakfast this morning." He turns, looking at the few crew members that are scattered around the deck. "We're going to row and tow, boys."

I don't know what that means, but everyone immediately reacts with anger and upset.

"Fuck," Cooper groans and leans back against the bucket for a moment.

"What is row and tow?"

"We're going to drop the row boats and hitch the ship to them so that we can pull the ship by rowing." He sighs and pulls himself up to climb down the ladder.

Following him down, I rush to the galley. I have never rowed a boat before, but I can assume that rowing with anything the size of this ship attached to you would be grueling labor.

The potatoes we have left are well past the point of using them. Taking stock of the crates and barrels, I start to gather everything I have left to make them a large meal that will give them the energy they are going to undoubtedly need.

"We're not eating in shifts today," Captain Cormac comes into the galley. "We're all eating together. Lunch and dinner need to be large as well."

"Yes, captain," I say, lowering my head and getting to work.I can feel him lingering in the doorway, watching me. His disdain for me is clear every time we interact. He looks at me with irritation and mistrust.

Making as much food as I can as quickly as I can, I call reveille for the crew.

The stampede of men that rushes into the galley leaves me with no choice but to stand against my door.

"It's all hands on deck today," Captain Cormac swallows his last bite and stands. "Let's go boys."

They all stand, racing out after him. It's clear he's in a foul mood, and none of them want to be the last one on deck. No one but Cooper.

"Finish in here and come out. Sit in the crow's nest, all the way at the top. I'm going to be in one of the row boats. I want you up, safe." He runs his hand through my hair.

"I'll be right out." My heart flutters in my chest.

This story is COMPLETE on my Patreon plus unlock access to the COMPLETE ✅ versions of 20 other books including bonus chapters and more!

Visit patreon.com/MyrandaRae