Morning

Song - Morning by Beck

I can feel myself slipping, the dead weight of my body sliding in his arms as he carries me. After sundown, the warmth of his skin made it impossible for me to keep my eyes open. I'm trying, but miserably failing.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, trying to pull myself up again.

"Rest, I've got you." His lips gently peck my temple.

He's calmer now, he hasn't snapped at anyone or tried to physically attack anyone, but there is still something. I can feel it when I press my face into his neck. There is a buzz beneath his skin.

"Watch out!" Someone howls, and I'm jolted awake. Cooper drops down, ducking into the tall grass. He's holding me so tightly to his chest that I can't turn my head.

"A pit trap!" Captain Cormac yells.

With no imminent threat, his grip loosens enough for me to watch as Mick picks a large rock from the ground and throws it forward. When it lands, the ground sinks into a large hole.

"She's booby-trapped the place."

"Fuck!" The captain throws his bag on the ground. He paces a few steps, then turns. "We're almost there," he says, pointing across the field to a densely packed tree line. "We will sleep here until morning. I assume this is not the only trap she's set. It will be impossible to see anything she has in the forest without a little light."

Everyone groans and grumbles, but I am filled with relief.

Finally, a moment for us to be together.

"Don't stray far!" He shouts as Cooper carries me off into the darkness.

I'm not sure of his definition of "far," but I believe we've exceeded it. He stops under a small cluster of strange trees. There are only a few of them, but the branches are all growing together, creating a large canopy that blocks out the sky.

"Did you know this was here?"

"Just luck," he sets me down before dropping our bags to the ground.

"Cooper," I reach for him in the dark just as he reaches for me. Our bodies collide painfully, but neither of us seems to notice.

"I'll give you enough money to find a room to let." He grabs my face in his hands. "You will be alright without me for a few months."

My stomach drops, a heavy sinking feeling tugging inside of me. He's not trying to make me feel better, he's trying to convince himself.

"I will," try as I might, my voice still shakes.

We're lying to each other.

"Fuck," he yanks away from me, ripping his hair as he stomps around in the dark."You got on a ship with a bunch of fucking wolves and a captain that was planning to throw you overboard as soon as we left port! How the fuck are you going to survive out here alone?"

"I'll just keep my head down and work until you return-"

"What if I can't get back? What if it takes years? How am I supposed to just leave you here?" He grabs me again, frantic and angry. He's shouting, shaking me by the shoulders.

His neck rolls, and the sound of his bones cracking echoes in the air. Forcing my eyes open, I watch him change. It takes less than a minute, but it's agonizing.

As soon as he's changed, the wolf steps forward and presses his weight against me. Leaning back into the tree, I slide down to sit. He sits over me, covering my body with his. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I nuzzle into the soft, warm fur.