Fade Into A Dream

Song - Fade Into a Dream by LEON

The next hour passes by in a blur. Before I know it, the rowboats are being lowered into the water.

I know I will have to face him, but I don't want to. I don't want to be a crying, sniveling little girl that fell in love with a stranger. Being with him all day, every day, made it all too easy to forget. He lives on the ship. I don't.

"Niamh." His voice is soft as he stands in my doorway.

I don't turn around because I can't. If I turn and look at him now, I won't be able to control the emotions that are threatening to spill out. My throat burns as I swallow down the lump that has been there all day.

"Niamh."

It feels like my chest has been cracked open. Mindlessly, I shove my few worldly possessions into my bag, anything to focus on the pain. This hurts worse than any physical injury I've ever endured.

His hand grips the back of my neck, spinning me around. My back hits the wall so hard that the air is knocked from my lungs. He attacks me with his mouth, his tongue taking over, leaving me with no choice but to let him take what he wants.

Tears spill down my cheeks so hot and heavy they burn my skin.

His hand fists my hair, pulling my head back, angling me however he wants. I don't resist, I don't have the strength to.

"Why are you crying?" His voice is so soft, he knows that one harsh word would crush me now.

"I-just-" I try, but a sob forces its way out instead.

"Niamh, look at me. We have to go get the bone-"

"Then you'll be off to Spain, I know." I feel the frayed edges of my heart hardening. Everything that was spilling out—the feelings, the softness, the fantasy—is now being pulled inward. I'm going to hide it away. I need to protect it. When he leaves me on the shore, I will be torn apart if I don't start pulling back now.

"I have to pack." I jerk myself away from him.

"Niamh," he sounds panicked. Maybe he was caught up too. Maybe the impending doom of our reality is only just dawning on him too.

His hand grips my arm, pulling to turn me, but the captain yells down, saving me.

"You should go," I don't turn to look at him. I can't. It hurts too much.

He hesitates for a moment, taking a step closer. His chest is almost flush with my back, I can feel the heat from his body.

"Silver!" The captain yells again.

When the door closes quietly behind me, I attempt to muffle the sound of my sobs with my hands. I know he feels the same connection, but everything feels tarnished. It isn't love.

I won't let him see me cry anymore. I let myself get too caught up in his beautiful eyes and strong arms. I'm alone in the world now. I've left my family and my home. I have to take care of myself.

Instead, I've fallen for the first handsome smile.

When I step out onto the deck, our eyes meet. As the row boat he was lowering crashes into the water below, he freezes, the rope in his hands slipping.

"Silver!" The captain screams as several other crew members shout angrily.

He jerks his head back, grabbing the rope tightly, trying to correct his mistake.

"I'll help you down," Big Jones steps forward, but Cooper comes out of nowhere, stepping in front of him.

"Don't touch her. I'll take her down." He growls, grabbing my arm roughly and pulling me forward.