Always With You

Miranda was rushing to dress and leave the house because she was late getting home from work.  Now she had to get to her 10 year old daughter's orchestra  spring recital. She started playing the viola at the beginning of the school year and she became a wonderful violist for her age. So much so she was going to have a solo during the recital. Menna had been talking about it all week and telling Miranda to be on time. 

Miranda was supposed to be cutting back on her duties as chief of surgery years ago when Menna was younger but she still struggled give it up.  With Ben becoming Captain she didn't want their daughter to feel like she was less important so she was trying to do better. As Miranda was getting into the car and backing out the driveway Ben called.

Miranda answered the car bluetooth, "Hey Benjamin, I'm leaving the house now and I should be there in 10 to 15 minutes."

"Okay baby because your daughter keeps peeping out of the curtains nervously. But the recital doesn't start for another 35 minutes."

Miranda pouted because Menna really thinks she's going to be late. She was almost jealous of Ben because despite him becoming Captain of his station and growing the PRT nationally, he still made time for them.

"Ben I want to talk about something later tonight."

"Okay baby, don't worry you will be on time."

Miranda made it to the school auditorium and hurried in. The children were taking their seats in the section they belonged in. When Menna walked out Miranda was making it to her seat and Menna saw her. Menna's eyes lit up and she waved at Miranda as she sat down beside Ben.

"I told you that you would make it in time. And she is so happy now," Ben said kissing her cheek and waving at their babygirl.

The recital started and they played three songs before it came time for Menna to do her solo. Miranda smiled from ear to ear when Menna stood up and prepared herself to play. Menna adjusted her stand and flipped to the page with Dust In the Wind before placing her chin against the chin rest. She stared out into the crowd and made eye contact with her parents who gave her a smile before she started to play.

Menna knew the song but she was intentional about the way she performed the song. She didn't just want to play the song but she wanted it to be felt the way her mom suggested.

As Menna performed the song Miranda felt herself getting emotional. Ben placed his hand on her thigh and they locked eyes with the same sentiments, their baby was so talented. Ben took a video to send out to their family. When Menna finished her solo the audience gave her standing ovation.

"That's my baby girl," Ben yelled.

When the recital was over Menna hurried to find her parents. "Hi baby," Miranda said as Menna ran up to her and Ben and hugged them.

"You did such great job Menna Beana," Ben said.

"Thanks daddy. I wasn't nervous at all mommy," Menna beamed.

"I could tell because you were amazing."

"Can we go get ice cream with some of my classmates," Menna asked.

"Sure baby do you know where everyone is going?"

"Yes, I asked before I came over here," Menna said leading her parents to the exit.

They made it to the ice cream shop and Menna ran over to meet her friends to get ice cream with them.

"This is a nice place, we haven't been on a date in two weeks. Maybe we can come here and get ice cream after dinner when we go out tomorrow," Ben suggested as they looked at getting some ice cream themselves.