Apology

Ben pulled up to the restaurant and the couple glanced at each other.  Ben got out of the car and opened Miranda's door. He attempted to take Miranda's and but she moved away from him. When he opened the door to the restaurant they immediately saw Tuck sitting with a very pretty, big eyed, brown skinned girl.

When Tuck saw his parents he smiled and stood up. "Mom, Ben, I'm so excited that you two are here," he beamed as he hugged them.

"We're glad to be here to see you too son," Miranda said.

Tuck backed up and got behind his girlfriend who was shyly smiling at the two of them. "This is Kamara Ellington. Kam this is my mom Dr. Miranda Bailey and my bonus dad Dr. Benjamin Warren."

"Nice to meet you both. Tuck talks so much about you and he even told me that y'all were high school sweethearts," Kamara said.

"Let's sit down before we start talking," Ben suggested as he pulled Miranda's chair out.

They sat down and ordered appetizers. "So Kamara are you a law student as well," Miranda asked.

"Yes but I want to be a divorce lawyer," Kamara shared.

"Hmmm a divorce lawyer," Miranda repeated as she looked at Ben.

He raised his eyebrows at Miranda's comment. "So what made you want to be a divorce lawyer?"

"I witnessed a lot of women in my life give their lives to men who end up doing them wrong. So I want to help women get what they deserve when they divorce these men. But I know it's not always that simple, men get done wrong too so I just want to be fair to my clients," Kamara explained.

"She is going to be an amazing divorce lawyer," Tuck chimed.

"And you are going to be an amazing civil rights attorney," Kamara replied as she looked at him lovingly.

"So, you were going to tell me about y'all being high school sweethearts," Kamara smiled as she relaxed in Tuck's arms. 

Ben looked at Miranda she was just looking around the restaurant as if she didn't hear Kamara speak.

"Well we were neighbors and the first day that I met her I was already infatuated with her. I knew she liked me too because she would coincidentally end up outside at the same time as me. We ended up spending everyday together that summer."

"We became boyfriend and girlfriend shortly after but we didn't tell our parents because they would feel we were to young for a relationship. And I gave her the new book she wanted as a anniversary gift for the day I wanted to make her my girlfriend; not the actual day," Ben chuckled.

Miranda relaxed and smiled reminiscing when they would sit on the bench under their favorite tree and she read the book to him.

"She was the first and only person I've ever been in love with. The only woman that I've ever given myself to completely whether it was emotional or physical. I had planned to marry her when we turned eighteen. She doesn't know this but I had my dad open a bank account for me. I would put half of any money I made from doing yard work around the neighborhood. I was saving for our wedding and an apartment for wherever we ended up going to school," Ben said looking at Miranda and she looked up at him with remorse in her eyes.

"After we were forced apart by my father moving our family to North Carolina. We didn't talk ever again. And when I went off to school I ended up getting married to Tuck's dad instead. I don't regret it because I wouldn't have my beautiful son if I didn't. But Ben is the love of my life and it was an ache I felt for years not being with him," Miranda said getting emotional.

Ben took her hand and kissed and she kissed his back. Ben wrapped his arm around her waist and she settled against him. Tuck looked at them for a moment.