Thankful

Ben woke up and looked around the room as he stretched before getting out of bed. It was thanksgiving day and Miranda had already left for work early that morning. But she was going to come spend the day with him at the station when she was done at work. It was his first year not spending thanksgiving with his family but he would FaceTime them when he got the chance with Miranda later.

Ben showered, completed his hygiene routine and got dressed. Ben walked over to the dresser as he was finishing up getting ready for work and grabbed his watch that Tuck gave him for his and Miranda's wedding. Miranda also got him a necklace to match hers. He never went anywhere without them because he loved being able to look at his baby girl throughout the day.

Ben walked into the kitchen to make coffee and looked at the picture that sat in the corner on the counter beside the fridge.  "Good morning baby girl, it's thanksgiving day. Mommy already went to work and I'm about to go in soon. I know that if you were still alive you technically would be a grown woman but you're my baby. Happy Thanksgiving," Ben spoke as he stared at Daniella's picture.

Ben talked to her all the time because it helped him cope. It made him feel like he was able to be a dad like he always wanted to be. Sometimes he felt weird for doing it but Miranda encouraged him that it was okay. Ben toasted a bagel and drank his coffee before heading out the door to the station.

Miranda took off her scrub cap as she walked out of the O.R. She was keeping her word to only work half the day so that she could go see her parents then spend the rest of the day at the station with Ben. She was so excited for their first holiday together. Miranda changed into her street clothes and head over to her parents house. She asked her mom if she could make two extra pies that she could bring to the station and Elena agreed.

Miranda made it to her parents house and just like every year, most of her family was over there. "Hey Miranda," her cousin Kandus said hugging her.

"Hey Kandus, Happy Thanksgiving."

"Where is this husband of yours that we still have yet to meet," Kandus teased.

"Yeah, you have all this family that hasn't met him and he could hang with us men," Kandus husband Marcus chimed in.

Miranda chuckled and shook her head. "He is a firefighter and had to work today. And since it's our first holiday together I'm going to go spend it with him at the station. Momma made dessert for me to take over there so I hope you haven't gotten to it Marcus," Miranda said.

"No he hasn't, they won't let him in the kitchen this time. But seriously Miranda, call us sometimes and we can do double dates. I always wanted to do stuff like that," Kandus said.

"Okay Kandus," Miranda agreed as she walked off to the kitchen.

"Kandi why you always tryna make plans for us? I was just having manners when I said he could come hang with us," Miranda heard Marcus mumbled and she laughed.

Miranda smiled seeing her mom interacting with two of her sisters. She was glad that they were still alive and going strong.

"Hey momma," Miranda greeted Elena and hugged her aunts as well.

"Hey baby, are you staying for awhile or are you going to the station?" Elena asked.

"I was going to say hey to daddy before I left again. But we will be back when Ben is done with his shift. You kept teasing him about all the food you were making and he wants a plate."

"I will have as many plates ready for my son in law when he gets off," Elana replied happily.

"The only reason we believe you have a husband is because your momma and daddy keep talking about this Ben Warren."