She Will Prevail

Começar do início

Another foreign man stood with the first one, wearing a matching brown cloak. This man had a funny-looking mask on, but it didn't scare Ahsoka. Especially when the new man tied the other's wrists together.

"Ahsoka Tano," said the new man in a warm, inviting voice. "I'm Jedi Master Plo Koon. I'm going to the Jedi Temple. Would you like to come with me, little one?"

Ahsoka hardly hesitated. She liked this man much better than the other, he made her feel safe and warm inside, and he made her tingle in a powerful way under her skin. So she opened her mouth and peeped, "yes."

Plo Koon offered Ahsoka his hand, and she took it, wrapping her tiny fingers around a textured claw.

Her mother cried as Plo Koon took her away. But she didn't. Ahsoka Tano didn't shed a single tear that day.

///

"Ahsoka, Ahsoka,

Are you gonna cry?

L - O -S - E - R - with a - Y

A big 'ol baby

With dummy little brain

Nobody likes you, just go away!"

Ahsoka ducked her head and clutched her datapad tighter against her chest as the group of fellow younglings began their chant again. It had started with just two mean younglings, but it'd grown a lot since then.

Ahsoka tried to sidestep a snarly red-skinned girl. But the girl peeled back her lips to reveal her jagged teeth and stepped in front of Ahsoka again. Ahsoka moved back. So did the girl.

"I have to get to class," Ahsoka tried. It only made things worse.

"Do you?" sneered a buggy eyed boy. "Then you're a nerd!"

"You have to go to classes too," Ahsoka argued.

The group burst into laughter.

"Don't tell us what to do," buggy boy snapped. "You're not the boss of us."

"And you're not the boss of me. So let me through."

"You wanna play that?"

"Do you?"

"Try it. I dare you."

Ahsoka studied the group for a moment, taking in their formation. She sucked in a breath, pinched her eye markings together, and charged. She darted straight through before anyone could react and didn't stop. Her feet pumped the ground and her heart raced. Other feet thundered behind her, and Ahsoka pushed to move faster, but the other kids were bigger and faster.

A dozen hands slapped her back and she stumbled forward, tumbling to the floor. She heard her datapad clatter and her heart stopped.

"No—"

She'd hardly propped herself up when someone shoved her down again. Pain exploded in her side from a strike, then pain in her shoulder. Again and again the pain came, blossoming with every new kick.

Ahsoka curled into a ball to protect herself as much as she could, covering her face. She could taste blood and feel bruising on her cheekbones already, and her lip was too wet where it had split.

And just when she thought it would never stop, a chime rang, and the whole group gasped. The striking halted and footsteps scraped and shuffled away. Ahsoka uncurled finally, allowing herself one breath before forcing herself up. She scooted over to her datapad, which lay face-down, and cold dread poured through her when she flipped it over.

It was cracked, one huge line trailing across it and tiny spiderwebs spotting other sides of the glass. Ahsoka tightened her fist and grit her teeth against anger and pain. She squeezed her eyes shut and felt the pressure building in her head.