20 | dancing queen.

This exact day seventeen years ago, I was causing my Mom the same amount of pain and stress as I do today.

Possibly less.

Despite not having many people to celebrate my previous birthdays with, I always had Marty which is why I caved and decided to plan a small gathering later tonight.

Besides, this is the first birthday I get to spend with Scarlett. It's going to be special either way, but I want my friends and girlfriend to be a part of it too.

"Oh wow, you really aged overnight," Scarlett tells me, coffee on hand as I step into the kitchen.
The orgasmic smell of bacon, eggs, and pancakes wafts through the space as I send her a look.

"Ha. Ha."

I don't pretend to be offended for very long however. As soon as she steps out from behind the counter, I all but gallop into her arms, my smile wide.

"Happy birthday my beautiful girl," she says, plastering several kisses across my forehead.

"Thank you," I mumble, resting my chin on her shoulder. "Breakfast smells so good!"

"I know right! It shouldn't be too much longer."

After pulling away, Scarlett reaches into the cupboard for a mug and pours me my own cup of coffee.

"I'm scared this kid is going to come out with more energy than I can handle," I sigh, settling down on one of the kitchen stools. She slides the coffee over to me and I hold it between my hands.

"I'm not quite sure that's how it works, but with the amount she's been kicking you lately, I wouldn't be surprised if she tests your limits."

"Yeah, with the two of us in her life, I would think something was wrong if she didn't." We both share a laugh. "Although, she hasn't been kicking as much in the last couple of days. In fact I don't think she's kicked at all since Monday night."

Scarlett pauses. Her expression falls for the slightest moment, but it's so quick I'm not even sure I noticed it. She doesn't say anything in response.

"What?" I ask, heart skipping a beat.

"Nothing, sweetheart."

We leave the conversation there. I can be incredibly naive, but I'm not an idiot. I know there is something she was going to tell me but didn't, and I'm too afraid to ask so instead I pick up my phone.

Gracie🤍
Happy birthday, angel! I can't wait to spend this evening with you & I hope you enjoy your day 🫶🏼

A giddy sensation settles in my stomach and a wide smile curls onto my lips. Immediately I reply.

Me:
Thank you honey! I cannot wait to see you tonight! XO

"Was that Gracie?" Scarlett asks, serving breakfast onto a plate. "You have such a goofy grin on your face, it's adorable."

I send her a look, and purse my lips to try and hide my smile. "Shut up."

"You're so in loveeee," she teases.

"I am not."

Scarlett quirks an eyebrow, ever so slightly tilting her head.

I take a breath. "Okay, fine. Maybe a little bit."