The Abyss

This was not how A2 imagined things would go down.

2B was not supposed to up and leave them like that. If she had then A2 would never...

Damn it...

She was going to say she would never have become king if she knew 2B would do this. But that simply wasn't true. Her ascension to king had nothing to do with 2B. This was just her trying to make up for a mistake. It may not have been much but it was better than nothing.

"My king," the black knight machine said, approaching her from behind. "The heads of the houses are ready to meet you."

Head of the...

A2 groaned quietly. She knew kinghood wasn't exactly a vacation. Still, dealing with all the menial internal affairs is perhaps at the bottom of what she wanted to do.

Well, she can't say she didn't know what she was getting into. She had literally downloaded all that knowledge into her brain.

"I'll be there," A2 sighed.

She followed Artorias through the castle. She gazed upon her subjects as she passed by them, many of them bowing their heads in reverence.

Ok, she really has to do something about that. She became king to lead them, not be worshipped.

But there was something else. Her auditory sensors were picking up something else.

Whoever it was, they were clearly trying to be quiet. And it didn't sound like machines talking.

"Artorias," A2 said, stopping in her tracks. "I'll meet you there. There's something else I need to check on first."

The black knight bowed and obeyed, turning around and walking to the meeting.

She was sure of what she heard. Androids whispering amongst each other. And more than that. There was something she couldn't shake.

Sure enough, as she went down the hall, she could see a YorHa whispering with a resistance android.

What the hell was going on?

A2 was built for direct combat. Sure, that involves some sneaking around but she was not good at stealth. But she did learn a thing or two from the executioners. She still wasn't as good as them, but she could still get the jump on run of the mill B-units.

In one leap, A2 took to the rafters. She adjusted her body's functions to reduce EM output. She trailed behind the two. Finally following them to the other androids.

"What the hell is this about?" 91B demanded.

"C'mon, figure it out," 64B said back. "We're behind enemy lines. We have a chance to strike back at the machines!"

"Those weren't 2B's orders," 91B said. "We're supposed to work together to survive!"

"You really think she wanted us to WORK with machines?" one of the resistance androids scoffed. "No way, I don't buy it."

"2B's the Hero of YorHa," another android pointed out. "She turned the tide of the war singlehandedly. No way she suddenly would want us to begin working WITH machines."

"It's been done before," Jackass spoke up.

"After WHAT THEY DID TO US?!" the previous resistance android shouted.

"Keep your voice down," one of the YorHa survivors hissed. "They might hear us."

"Our duty isn't to interpret our commanding officer's orders!" 91B said. It was strange listening to how serious the once bubbly 91B was. "2B told us to work together with the machines."