seventeen

*Aria's p.o.v*

I'm sitting on the staircase when I heard someone calling for me. I looked up and it was Travis and Vic. Travis was calling me down to go with them to this simulation thing to help Vic with her fear of fires. I tried to say no, but Vic looked a bit scared.

Travis: Come on, Bishop

Me: Fine

I ran down the stairs and followed them. They led me to the Aid Car and started to drive us where we needed to be. I got out of the car and the first thing I saw was Maya standing there. I looked back at Travis and I shook my head.

Me: Great. Another trap huh?

Vic: Aria, please I need you right now.

Me: *I look at her and nod* mhm

I watch as she walks away and puts her gear on. When she finished putting everything on she walked towards us holding a line. 

Maya: Okay, it's time to start desensitizing you to fire. I will light up a torch. You douse it. Ready?

Vic: Yeah, I think so.

She walks into the circle of torches and Maya starts to light up a torch. I watch as Vic jumps a little but she puts the fire out.

Maya: Okay, now the torch to your right.

Maya lights up the torch on her right. Vic turns around and quickly puts the fire out.

Travis: You sure this is a good idea?

I watch as Maya starts to light up another torch with no warning. I keep my eyes on Vic the whole time. She looks like she's getting scared of the fires now. I watch as she backs up a little and drop her line. She picks it back up and goes back into the circle.

Maya: Sometimes we have to give our friends the help they need, not the help they want.

Travis: Just seems like we could ease her into it a bit. 

Maya: People don't always know what's best for them. 

I watch as Maya keeps lighting up torches and Vic keeps jumping when they light up. 

Vic: Aah! Okay, that's enough! I'm good! Turn it off now!

Maya: Get back into it! Push pass it!

I look at Maya confused and I shake my head. 

Vic: No, I need-I need to move more slowly than this!

Maya: *whispers* come on. come on.

I watch as Maya starts to light up almost every torch in the circle. I look at Vic and I see her starting to panic. She drops her line and starts to back up. I look at Maya and I snatch the remote from her. I turn off all the torches and I looked at Maya.

Me: She said she's done. She's not ready okay. Wait until she is. You're not dad. Vic is not you or me.

Maya: *looks at me with confused eyes* I know that Aria-

Vic: *walks over to us breathing heavily* this-this is not helping! *screams at Maya* You are not helping me! This will not help!

I look over at Travis who's beeper starts to ring. He says that there's a structure fire at a mall. He told us we needed to go. We all walked away and I got into the back of the Aid Car. I looked over at Vic who still looked a bit shaken up. 

*A couple minutes later*

We finally arrived at the scene and when we got out almost the whole mall was on fire. Everyone gets out of their trucks and I watch as civilians are running out of the building.