1- Unrequited Love

SILVERSTONE GRAND PRIX

AFTER PARTY

As part of a congratulatory invite for Lando Norris, who secured an impressive third place at the Silverstone Grand Prix, many McLaren team members, including myself, were invited to join Red Bull and Ferrari in an after-party celebration organized by an influential figure in Formula One management.

Upon arriving at the location, the sight of the palace hosting the party felt like stepping into a fairy tale. Warm lights adorned every crevice, and the lively sounds of party music and clinking champagne glasses welcomed us even at the entrance.

The McLaren team members were visibly exhilarated by the opulent setting. Lando, equally excited, exuded joy as the significance of standing on the podium during his home race resonated deeply with him. His charismatic and talkative demeanor effortlessly led us inside, marking the beginning of a memorable celebration in honor of his remarkable achievement.

''Lando Norris!'' A familiar voice called, Daniel Ricciardo.

''Hey,'' Lando smiled, casually approaching the older driver. I followed behind, unsure of where to go.

"Hey there, Oscar," Daniel greeted me, his thick Australian accent providing a familiar touch, a connection to home. I smiled in return, stepping closer to the pair and immersing myself in the conversation.

"I almost caught up to you," Daniel chuckled, glancing at me. "You should cut me some slack next time! Don't run away; I don't bite," he joked.

I joined in the laughter but couldn't help glancing at Lando, hoping for a sign of amusement from him. However, the other McLaren driver seemed preoccupied.

"I'll give you a better chance at catching up next time," I joked back, both of us enjoying the playful banter until Lando interrupted with his own concern.

"Have you seen Carlos?" he asked Daniel.

"No, I haven't seen him," the older man replied, his characteristic smile fading as he prepared for Lando's reaction. "I don't think he's coming."

Lando, scanning the crowd for any sign of Carlos, turned back to Daniel. "Why not? Charles is here, isn't he?"

"Someone said he went out with his girlfriend instead, and you know, probably not coming anytime soon."

Lando frowned, licking his lips in discomfort before excusing himself from the conversation, heading directly to the bar to order a few drinks.

"Geez..." Daniel sighed, taking a sip of his drink.

My eyes remained fixed on Lando in the distance when Daniel decided to address the situation at hand. "I thought he had moved on from that by now."

"Hm?" I raised an eyebrow, turning my attention back to Daniel, trying to catch up with the conversation.

"I thought he'd have moved on from Carlos," he repeated, the first half of the sentence leaving me confused. "But Lando is so obvious."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He was Lando's first teammate, and I guess they were attached at the hip back then," Daniel explained, subtly shedding light on the relationship between the two. "But when he moved to Ferrari, Carlos didn't care much to maintain the same level of friendship between them, you know? And I guess Lando never truly accepted that he left."

I redirected my focus to Lando, my mind entangled in a perplexing question: Why would anyone choose not to continue a friendship with him? It seemed as if Daniel had picked up on my contemplation; he handed me a glass of champagne he had acquired from the passing waiters.