Just Keep Breathing - Beth Mead & Katie McCabe

"How was your first week of university?" You heard your older sister, Beth Mead, speak over the phone. "Awful. I want to come home, Beth. I hate it here." You whisper back, a little sob coming out of your mouth halfway through.

University has been awful. You moved away from your big sister, your best friends, Alessia, Teyah and Laura to pursue your dream of teaching in a primary school, but nothing prepared you for the awful people you would encounter.

The first day, you saw this girl who looked , and ended up being your roommate, but all she has done is cause trouble. She's constantly called you names, and even though you're 18, the words affect you. You've been beaten up twice to, and it's only the first fucking week... you want to leave.

"Beth please. I want to come home." You cried again, but she couldn't say yes. "Look, y/n. You have to be brave. You have to stand up for yourself and be brave for us, okay? Me and Viv are always a phone call away – the same as all your girls... Just maybe don't tell Katie or she will physically go and fight them." She tried to make me laugh, which worked a little.

"Oh my god. I miss Katie so much." You wept. Katie has always been like your older sister, and Teyah actually introduced you to her, which was cute. She's amazing... she's actually amazing.

"Just... hold on for me, okay?" Your older sister whispered down the phone, and you couldn't say no to that. You had to suck it up for the rest of the term until you could go back home and see her properly.

The end of the term came, and with 2 weeks off, you knew EXACTLY how you were going to spend them – at home with your girls. You immediately packed your bag, ready to leave this hell hole. It hasn't changed, but you also haven't done anything about it, which you know is concerning your sister.

Beth knows you inside and out, and knows that once you stop caring about it, you're done for. It causes for many many breakdowns, and a rapid decline in your mental health, and she has seen that too many times for her liking.

As you were leaving the campus, you saw the same girl, Milly, who has been picking on you for the past 4 weeks. "Aweee, going home to bask in your sister's glory, are we, Little Mead?" She teased, but you just tried walking past her. As soon as you did, she pulled your bag that was on your back, and sent you flying to the floor, hitting your head on the concrete.

"I asked you a fucking question." She spat, making you get a little more annoyed by the second. "So what if I am?" You spoke back, not ready for a fight just yet, but needing to do something. The anger has been building up these past 4 weeks, and it's getting too much for you. It's fight or flight.

"Aweee, look at you go running to your mammy when you're sad. Oh wait, you don't have a mam. She's dead." Milly giggled, and this just set off the bomb inside of you. Scrap the whole 'not ready for a fight.' You stood up as quick as you could and punched her straight in the nose.

"Speak about my family again you're fucking dead, okay?" You spoke very confidently, but she wasn't taking it. "Look at you go. Smacking me over your little dead mum who doesn't even give a fuck about you. Neither does Beth – I've seen the phone calls where she declines it." She chuckled, and even though it hurt, it was true. Your mam always paid more attention to Ben and Beth, which was fine with you after a while, but you did miss out on that mother daughter time, which is why Beth is basically your mam.

Another punch went straight to her ribs, and she retaliated harder, making us go into a full physical fight. You attracted a crowd after screaming horrible things at each other; things that you will probably regret in a few hours. All you wanted to do was go home, but you couldn't... not right now.