Chapter Five

*Fellow Wattpad readers, please note that this chapter contains a few bad words*

I shivered slightly as I walked down towards the front door. The weather was changing and humidity was starting to leak in through the cold metal door and the concrete walls.

I rolled my eyes at the memory of our old shelter. We were warm all throughout winter, there. That was, until Thad came back one night and told us to pack our bags and leave. It turned out we were hunted by a group of Scrapers, and it wouldn't have been long until they had assaulted the place, and slaughtered us.

I frowned at the sight of the pile of mere crates in front of me. I had entered an adjacent room, secured by a heavy lock. My thoughts were buzzing around in my head as I stood there, the key's jingling noise painfully echoing in my head.

The city was bare, and the last few days were meagre in finds. The Scrapers and other bands of survivors were leaving the city, looking for resources elsewhere. We were running out of time, and fast.

And to make matters worse, the room was empty, only for a ridiculously small pile of bags and three medium sized-crates left in a corner.

If I had counted correctly, we had only four days until our supplies ran out...

Heart beating, I sprinted down the bunker's corridor, to the main room. Thad was standing in front of the makeshift fireplace, his back to me and a hand pressed on the wall, his whole weight slumped forwards. He seemed thoughtful, and was faintly muttering under his breath.

I stopped at the door.

"Thad?" I began.

He didn't stir.

"You'd better come and see this..." I breathed, passing my hand over my face.

His mumbling stopped, but he didn't answer. I walked towards him, but before I could reach for his arm he uttered, his cold tone, chilling:

"If you want me to check on the supplies, I've already have..."

I froze. Silence filled the air like molten iron.

"What do you mean you've already checked on the supplies?" I exclaimed, taken aback. "What happened, Thad? How come we consumed so much of our supplies without even noticing?"

He didn't answer.

"What are we going to do, then?!" I asked, surprised by his lack of response.

Heat was rising, the room felt stuffed and dangerous and I was starting to feel panicked by his statement.

Thad turned towards me, flames dancing in his eyes. He was glaring at me, and I didn't know why.

He suddenly thundered,

"What do you think I've been damn thinking about, Rae!? Are you freaking stupid? I've been looking for a way to fix this for days!!"

He glared at me and swore, turning his back to me once more.

"Now leave me alone, I'll find a way."

I fumed. Rage boiled in my veins.

"Who in the god-damn world do you think you are?!" I screamed. "I've only just seen that there are no supplies left and you..." I spat. "You freaking knew?! How am I supposed to help if I didn't even know?! Why didn't you tell me?"

He bellowed. "I don't know, Rae, okay?! Goddammit! I can manage fine without you!"

I shrieked, "If you could manage, there would be supplies here! Stop acting like a god-damn god all the time and let us find solutions together! I need to know when something goes wrong. It's my responsibility too, you asshole! I am fully capable of helping! Or do you just think I'm still a stupid little girl?!"