Dinner time

26.

Samhain for the Celts, Halloween for the Saxons, Dia de Los Muertos in Hispanic folklore, the period around October 31st - reclaimed by Catholics in the form of All Saints' Day - pervades many cultures. A crucial moment connected to the seasons themselves. One which recurred in Alexandra's research to understand the particular affinities of Naturalis with their environment. An origin often lost in the mists of time, but always linked to a transition, a transition from one world to another, whether that of the dead, spirits or gods. She was convinced that behind folklore lay some phenomena still unexplained by modern science. The period of Samhain, which means "gathering", remained her best, and probably only, chance to interact with the Naturalis. To finally meet Nathaniel. The night of October 31st to November 1st would bear witness to her stepping into the world of her dreams, her coming into the future.

"You're not eating, darling?"

The question startled the young girl, deep in thought about Samhain and the last few hours spent in front of her computer beginning her slow infiltration work. She reconnected with the reality of family dinner. A mechanical glance at her plate informed her that the mashed potatoes were now cold, but she still shoveled a good portion to avoid another maternal inquisition, in vain.

"Are you all right, Alex?" her worried mother asked.

"She's having another episode," her brother reproached as he finished scraping the bottom of his chocolate mousse pot. "She must be 'tired'..."

"Um, um," the teenage girl mumbled, her mouth full.

She nodded reassuringly to the adult, and nudged her younger brother.

"Ouch! Mom, she hit me!"

He wanted to retort, but his mother held him back.

"That's enough, you two!"

The two teenagers settled back in their chairs. The boy scowled and drew a face that clearly indicated his disapproval of this blatant injustice. He cast a hostile look at his sister, who rolled her eyes while swallowing.

"Get a life." She whispered through gritted teeth.

He tried to retaliate by kicking her in the shin. But Alexandra had shifted her position while finishing her plate, and he only met the metal leg of the chair. He held back a cry of pain as he clenched his jaws, and resumed his scowl as his sister affected a smug smile with an obvious meaning: "Kid, I know all your tricks."

Catherine Rousseau, seemingly oblivious to her children's behavior, began to clear the table.

"Patrick, participate please."

The boy stood up angrily, grabbed his cutlery and slid it noisily into the dishwasher.

He put away the condiments and left his sister's things as she finished her meal.

"I'm going upstairs," he announced as he exited the kitchen.

"Your game again?" his mother asked.

"We're just doing a quick raid. I won't stay up late, I promise."

He was already out.

"A raid?" The adult remained perplexed.

"He's forming a group with his buddies online and they're fighting a boss in a dungeon." Alex explained without looking up.

As her mother dumbfounded expression persisted, the young girl smiled and, pursued, clearing her plate: "At least he interacts with other people, even if it's virtual. And I must say, he often takes the lead, he's pretty good at managing his troops. He's a fine tactician."

"I don't understand anything about these games ... why doesn't he use his console in the living room?"

"It's not the same, he needs a real computer there. Controllers aren't enough. He has to use a keyboard and mouse to interact with this game and communicate with his group..." She sighted. "If only it were that easy for me..." Alexandra muttered thoughtfully.

"What's that?"

The teenager bit her lips. "No, nothing, I'm talking to myself."

"I don't understand these things." Her mother persisted.

"Don't worry," her daughter replied. "If things get out of hand with Patrick, I'll let you know. For now, he prefers online group video games, and believe me, his remote friends are more respectable than those who roam the streets in gangs."

Catherine Rousseau let out a weary sigh.

"Well," her daughter resumed. "I'm exhausted; I'm going to bed early. See you tomorrow, Mom."

"Already?"

"I'm gonna lie down, read a bit."

As Alexandra disappeared down the stairs, her mother didn't insist.

"Well, um ... see you tomorrow, darling. Have a good rest." Mrs. Rousseau found herself alone, both pleased that her daughter was feeling better and sleeping through the night, but sad that her children were growing up so fast and no longer needed her as much.

Little did she know that Alexandra's primary motivation for going to bed so early was in hopes of hearing from Nathaniel after the Sapiens's pursuit ended.