☠︎︎ 15. Raging Fondness ☠︎︎

Start from the beginning

"They saw me kill one of them for you, Chay. They are pirates, not dumb."

Chay smiled and wrapped his arms around Kim's neck, "good to know... because I really need this right now." Chay pressed his body completely on Kim's, nuzzled his head into Kim's neck, and closed his eyes. "I can't believe that I can do this, and you won't immediately push me away... it's nice."

"Yeah... I can't believe it either," Kim whispered, pressing a gentle kiss on Chay's temple.

"Captain, it's ready!"

Kim nodded in Arm's direction and pulled away from Chay, "ready?"

Chay shook his head, "no... yes... but I'm warning you if I fall... I'm taking you with me!"

"Of course, darlin'," Kim gave Chay a sweet smile. "I'll follow you anywhere."

Chay wanted to say something. Wanted to ask Kim not to say things like this if he didn't really mean them because all it was doing was giving Chay hope. Hope he didn't know if he should allow himself to feel because... what were they? What it was that formed between him and Kim? Were they now together like a real couple, or was Kim just testing the waters, trying to find out what exactly he felt? Chay knew that they talked about it in the cabin, and what followed were hours when they couldn't keep their hands off each other, but Kim never said what they actually were... and that was starting to bother Chay. He was starting to overthink again. Maybe once they get on the Reckoning, he should just ask Kim without beating around the bush.

Yes, Chay thought to himself as he followed Kim towards the wooden plank, that was what he was going to do. He would just ask.

They stopped in front of the plank, Kim turning to Chay, "I'll go first. You'll get on right after me. Don't worry, I'll be holding your hand. All you have to do is follow my lead and preferably try not to look down."

"The waters have calmed down, matey. no need to be scared. Besides, pirates shouldn't be scared of water," Arm said, earning a glare from Kim.

"Chay is new to this. Let him be!"

"I'm good," Chay said, trying to convince mostly himself rather than anyone else. "Besides," he whispered, "what's the worst that can happen—I'm going to time travel back to my century?"

"You can't," Kim said, sounding almost scared, "not without me."

"We are ready, captain. You can go!" someone from The Reckoning shouted, breaking the tension which was starting to form around Kim and Chay.

Kim stepped on the plank and gave Chay a hand, "careful and slow. One step after the other, come on, darlin'."

Chay was holding Kim's hand, possibly the tightest he had ever held it. At some point, he thought that he was crushing Kim's bones, which was pretty much impossible, but that fact didn't stop him from feeling like it. He heard Kim talking to him calmly, telling him that he was doing a good job and that they were almost there. He was making one small step after the other, feeling his knees wobbling a little. For a brief moment, he considered killing Kim for making him do this, but when he looked into Kim's caring eyes, that feeling was all gone. And then, Kim stepped down from the plank, standing firmly on the board of the Reckoning and opened his arm for Chay to jump into them, and Chay did.

"That's the last time I did this," Chay mumbled into Kim's neck, and Kim hummed, "you did good, Chay. Really good."

"Captain Kim."