20| Evidence

Present Hannah's POV 

"I got another message, Charlotte. Do I block them?" I said.

"Why don't you just text them back?"

"Well, their messages are weird. They either say 'Hannah' or some very misspelt word. Every time I try to answer the call, they immediately hang up."

"It's almost like they're begging for you to track their address. What a weirdo."

"I'll just block them. This is really weird."

"Screenshot the number and whatever details you have from them like messages and whatsoever. I'll try finding out who they are."

"Yeah, right. Like you'll be able to do that."

"Hey, I can do a lot of things, Hannah! Just watch me."

Vanessa was sitting on the bed across from me. We had spent the whole week not talking to each other and even though I hated her, I was starting to miss her. Every time I missed her, I remembered how she was just probably using me to get closer to my brother in the past and rolled my eyes.

"I'm going to go to the music room. Want to come with me, Charlotte?" I asked.

"No, I'm good. I'm going to sleep until the bell rings."

"Suit yourself."

I felt the wall as I walked down the stairs. I could've taken the elevator since no one else was awake, but it felt nice to just walk alone with my thoughts. Just as I opened the door to the music room, I heard someone crying. Quickly, I hid behind a chair and tried to get a peak at whoever was crying. It was Mark. He was curled up into a ball and looked like he was in distress. I had never seen him cry before, he looked so vulnerable.

"Anything," he muttered, "Anything at all. I need something to distract me from him."

"From who?" I asked as I stood up, "Are you okay, Mark?"

His eyes shot up to look at me and his gaze softened. He said, "I'm fine."

"Distract who from you?"

"I'm sorry?"

"What's on your mind, Mark?" I sat down in front of him. "You can tell me anything. I swear, I won't tell anyone."

He hesitated for a second before he said, "My best friend is dead. He didn't move away or anything, he's just dead. I'll never see him again."

"You just realised that?" I muttered, "Sorry, that probably came off as rude."

"No, it's fine. I was just scrolling through my camera roll. I think that should answer whatever you were thinking."

"I miss him too," I stated, trying to sympathise with him. "Honestly, I wish I had more pictures of him and I together."

"Do you want to be sad together? I have a ton of pictures saved."

"Why not?"

He turned his body away from me and tapped on his phone, "Just give me a second." After a minute or two, he gave me his phone. Mark wasn't joking when he said that he had a TON of photos of Micheal and him together. They went almost everywhere together. He smiled and we turned to look at each other at the same time. The look in his eyes was delicate but not sorrowful. He was remembering something while looking at me intensely. "Sorry, that was weird. I'm not the type to stare."

"It's because Micheal and I were twins, isn't it? I remind you of him, don't I?" Before he could say anything, I took his hand. We stared into each others eyes for a few moments. I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly shut it. I didn't know what to do. There was a heavy amount of romantic tension, I think. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, though.