16| Redhead

Past Vanessa's POV 

"Hey, watch it redhead!" a guy yelled as he bumped into me. I fell and he just continued to walk without even apologising.

To be honest, I was used to it. I never said or did anything wrong, people just hated me for no reason. People would tell me jokes about the Salem witch trials and make fun of me because of my hair colour. I didn't see anything wrong with my hair. My mother said that I got it from my grandparents and that it was a gift. People at school would wretch at the sight of me and call me a mutant. Genetically, red hair was a mutation but their words were unkind and I hated them.

I got up and smiled upon seeing Micheal. Just as I was about to wave at him, he walked past me. He had never acknowledged me. In fact, I don't even think he knew I existed. I didn't mind loving him from afar, though. Micheal was highly attractive and skilled. I mean, who didn't like him? All the teachers adored him, all of the students adored him, I adored him. I had him in my sight, I wasn't going to lose him again.

"Hey, Micheal!" I called out his name but tripped on my own feet, causing me to stumble and fall.

Our eyes met and he reached his hand out to help me up. Next to him was a brunette boy, he looked around Micheal's height. He looked at me for a split second, but quickly looked away. I couldn't tell what the expression on his face meant but I didn't like it.

"Are you okay?" Micheal asked, "You're Vanessa, right?" I took Micheal's hand and he pulled me up, "Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine. I just wanted to ask you a question. Is that alright with you?"

"Sure, what is it?"

I froze. I hadn't planned what I wanted to say. I was going to make a fool out of myself if I didn't speak fast, "I'm an art student and I need a muse." I had to put together an art portfolio for art class anyways. I was both a music and art student, but I focused on one more than the other. Yeah, I did have a music brooch but at heart, I was an artist. I only wore my music brooch if I needed to.

"So, you're asking me to be your muse?"

"Only if you don't mind," I said.

The brunette boy nudged his shoulder and Micheal's eyes met his. They talked with their eyes for a few seconds before he said, "Yeah, sure! I don't mind."

"Perfect! I really needed a muse for my art portfolio. I want to go to art school once I graduate."

"When should we meet?"

"Can we meet in the art room right after school today?"

He nodded his head and smiled. I smiled back and the brunette began to walk away but Micheal chased after him. They were fighting back and forth and all I did was watch as their bodies got smaller and smaller. Soon enough, they disappeared into the distance.

I had seen the brunette with Micheal before, but I didn't really know their relationship. Brothers? No, they looked completely different. Friends? Probably.

"Nessa," Hannah yawned, "What were you and my brother talking about?" She leaned her head on my shoulder and almost fell.

"Did you have exams today? Why are you so tired?"

"I have to paint one hundred charcoal frames. It's so tiring."

"You'll push through, just like you always do, Han!"

"Nuh-uh. I can't do one hundred charcoal frames! I think my teacher is going crazy because of my classmates."

"Well, you'll be proud of it in the end," I said, trying to cheer her up.