Chapter 25

Kyle's POV:

 When I found Luke, he was sitting with Bethany and Darnell on the couch in the living room. He was telling his story. I remained silent, not revealing I was there. I listened and watched the interaction. 

 "Luke is alright. He's with Bethany and Darnell." I mind-linked Marcus.

 "What's going on?" he asked.

 "Luke is telling them his story. I think they're helping him..." I responded.

 Marcus was silent. I knew he was beginning to warm up to Darnell, but still iffy on if he should trust him or not. "Let them be. But keep an eye on them. Make sure Luke is alright. If he needs to take the day off, I will do his work myself. Keep me posted on what's happening."

 I smiled and nodded. "Alright. I'll do that."

 By this time, Darnell and Bethany were holding Luke in their arms as he cried. I gave a small smile as I watched them. I felt grateful to them for helping Luke. I was glad that Luke was finally able to let it all out.

 At that moment, Cara walked up to me, holding Peter in her arms. "Is everything alright with Luke..?" she asked softly.

 "I think he will be. I think he's finally letting out his emotions." I replied.

 Cara smiled. "That's good...It'll take time, but I know he'll get there...Especially if he knows he has his friends by his side." 

 I nodded in agreement. Cara is a smart woman. She's kind, caring, and gentle. A good mother and most definitely a good mate. "You're right, Cara..." I sighed as I wrapped my arm around her, looking at my friend and Beta. "We've always known what kind of person Luke is...But I sometimes wonder, if maybe, he needs a bit more encouragement or something..."

 "It wouldn't hurt." Cara replied. "We all know his backstory. We know how he grew up and we know how he was raised after the Beta adopted him. He never got any reassuring words or encouragement. Just criticism and harsh remarks...." Cara bounced our son a little, making him giggle. 

 I shook my head. "We are so blind....How could we not realize that...? There was more we could do to help him and we just left Luke alone!" I exclaimed.

 Luke's POV:

 I honestly don't know why I told them. I really don't. I guess....Maybe I just needed to....But, yea...Now you know my past. The Beta adopted me because his mate was infertile and couldn't give him a child. He had many choices. He could've gotten a surrogate mother. Or, he could've waited till it was time to step down and help the Alpha and Gamma choose the next Beta from among the pack members. Most likely, if that had happened, I wouldn't have become Beta. He could have adopted someone younger. Or, even a baby. But he chose me.

 I am grateful to the Beta for adopting me, even if he didn't treat me well. But, I didn't really care at that point how I was treated. I was used to it....It was why I was kinda scared to have a child. My childhood was a living nightmare. I wasn't sure what kind of father I could be. If I could give my baby the life they deserved. Even now, I'm a little nervous. But, I'm excited at the same time. I'm determined to give my little girl the life I never had.

 If the Beta never adopted me all those years ago, a lot of things would be different right now. I might not have met Marcus and Kyle. I might not have met Loraina, Bethany, or Cara. Probably not Darnell either. But, most importantly, I don't know if I would've met Amelia. I never showed my feelings. But, inside, I felt so...alone and downright miserable...I had no one until I met Kyle and Marcus. In a way, I think they saved my life. I don't know what would've happened to me if I didn't meet them, but I don't want to know.

 I allowed myself to be held and comforted by Darnell and Bethany. I...allowed myself to cry and let out my emotions. It felt so different and strange...But, it did feel good.

 I suddenly heard Kyle's voice from behind us. I froze and slowly turned around, looking at him. Cara stood next to him, holding their little boy. Darnell's hand still rested on my shoulder. I looked intently at Kyle, who seemed frustrated.

 "There was more we could do to help him and we just left Luke alone!" I could hear the regret in his voice. I turned around, groaning. I ran my fingers through my hair.

 "Maybe you should talk to him..." Bethany suggested quietly.

 I nodded slowly. I probably should. How much did they hear, anyway? Did they see me.....crying...? I did not like the idea of people witnessing that scene. "I'll go. Thank you." I said slowly, wiping my eyes.

 "It's no problem, Beta. If you ever need to talk, we're always here to listen. Remember, it's ok to let people in...It's ok to let out your emotions. It's ok to not be ok...To not be that strong." Darnell spoke up. I gave him a small smile.

 We do have a lot in common. And that's what scared me. That's what brought back my flashbacks....The way he was a rogue...The way he and Bethany are with each other....The way they started out reminds me a little of Amelia and I. But, I slowly learned to let her in...Like Darnell learned to let Bethany in. 

 I stood up and walked behind the couch, crossing my arms and clearing my throat. Kyle's head snapped towards me, his eyes wide. I watched as a smile formed on his face.

Kyle's POV:

 Luke gazed at me intently. But there was something different about his expression. It wasn't so...emotionless and indifferent. It was...softer...gentler...I couldn't help but smile.

 "What are you doing?" he spoke in his husky, deep voice. If he was trying to look like he'd never been crying, he was very bad at it. His eyes were red and his voice definitely sounded like he'd been crying. His face was stained with tears. 

 Usually, I'd probably be a little nervous or concerned. But this was....a different Luke...A Luke different than the one I've always known. "I came to check on you. To see if you were alright."

 "And I joined him a couple minutes ago." Cara replied.

 Luke simply nodded. "I'm alright now. Tell Marcus I'm sorry for rushing out the way I did and that I'll be right there."

 I nodded slowly and watched as he walked away towards the bathroom. Normally, I'd probably be shocked and ask if he was feeling alright. But...his usual cold facade had faltered. His attitude wasn't so cold and indifferent. His aura had changed. He wasn't calm, but he wasn't freaking out either. 

 I smiled at Bethany and Darnell. "Darnell, you had received my trust before when you babysat for me and comforted my son. But seeing you help and comfort Beta Luke has given me more reassurance that you won't betray us. You have my trust, Darnell. Thank you both." I bowed my head in respect to the two on the couch, who were looking at us. Bethany and Darnell looked surprised, but they smiled.

 "Thank you, Gamma Kyle. I promise, you won't regret it." Darnell said quietly.

 "I know I won't." With that, Cara and I walked away, my arm around her.

 "I'm proud of you, Kyle." Cara smiled, as we approached the office. 

 "I'm grateful for that, my love. But if anyone deserves your pride, it's Darnell and Luke." I chuckled and kissed her lovingly. "I'll see you after I finish with Marcus." Cara nodded, smiling, as I bent down a little, looking at my little boy. "Hey, big guy. Daddy will see you soon, ok?" 

 "Daddy!" Peter cried, reaching for me. I laughed and kissed his forehead.

 "I'll be back soon, my boy." I said softly, smiling at him and Cara before walking into the office.