Chapter 18

Loraina's POV:

 My eyes were wide. I knew very well that Marcus had serious doubts about accepting Darnell into the pack. I also knew that Bethany would go rogue if it meant she could be with her mate. I did not want that to happen. I hated the idea of seeing her leaving. What kind of life would that even be...?! On the run from rogues who wanted to kill her all the time, going hungry sometimes, sleeping on the cold, hard ground with not even a blanket to keep her warm?! No. That couldn't happen.

 But, then I thought about the kind of life Bethany would have if Darnell left and they met each other everyday. They could never really be together. Never cuddle with each other. Never share their nights together. Darnell would never see any of her dance recitals again. They would never had the kind of life they deserved if they had to live that way. I knew and understood that very well.

 "What do you want to do, Loraina?" my wolf, Milly, asked me softly.

 "I don't know....Bethany doesn't deserve to live these types of lives...But Marcus won't welcome him into the pack so easily..." I sighed heavily. "We need to do something. I don't want Bethany or Darnell to leave."

 Darnell looked very serious. I knew he meant every word that came out of his mouth.

 "Marcus, we need to talk. Now." I mind-linked him before he could say anything.

 "It can't wait? Lori, we need to deal with this...phoenix." Marcus' voice echoed through my mind.

 "No, Marc. It can't wait." I took hold of his hand and turned to the others. "We'll be right back. If you'll excuse us." I gave a small smile before walking away, practically dragging Marcus behind me.

 Third Person POV:

 The others in the room stared at the two as they left the room, shocked and confused. Luke, other than a raised eyebrow, seemed to remain the same. He was indeed a curious sort of man. One minute he seems to care and the next, he seems so indifferent and cold.

 Darnell glanced at Bethany. "What was that about..?"

 "I really don't know." Bethany replied gently, shrugging her shoulders. She turned to Kyle and Luke, who remained where they were. 

 "Soo...Um....Who's hungry?" Kyle asked, breaking the awkward silence.

 Loraina's POV:

 Marcus and I went to our room and shut the door. I crossed my arms and looked at him sternly. "We need to give him a chance in the pack." was all I said. I was getting straight to the point.

 Marcus stared at me like I'd lost my mind. "Loraina, are you insane!? We can't do that!"

 "And why not, Marcus?? He is my little sister's mate! And he's too weak to do anything bad." I declared.

 "He is a phoenix! He is not a werewolf! He is a rogue! And we don't even know how powerful he is. Chances are, he's more powerful than an Alpha and we both know what that means." Marcus said, his tone slightly raised. "He's dangerous to the pack, to Cara and Amelia, to Amelia's baby, to Peter and Cassie, to you, to Kyle and Luke, and even to Bethany!"

 "He isn't dangerous! He might be more powerful than you are, but I don't believe he would hurt any of us unless we tried to hurt Bethany.

 "And how do you know that, huh, Loraina??" Marcus snapped. He frowned crossly as he looked at me.

 "Because I've looked into his eyes." I said in a low tone. "I can see in his eyes he's really just a scared, lonely boy, in need of a home and love....He needs help. If we kick him out, Bethany will follow. Or, he'll convince her to stay but their relationship will not be what it should be. Think about it, Marcus! They need each other! Darnell needs us. He needs this pack."

 I sat down on the bed and sighed heavily. Tears came to my eyes as I thought back to what Darnell said about being abandoned as a child. I love my baby girl so very much....How could anyone do that to their own child??

 "He never got the life he should've had as a child, Marcus...He never got the love he deserved...He was abandoned because he was different...If Cassie were in his place, what would you do...? Would you give her a chance...? Or would you kick her back into the cold, dark, dangerous woods...?"

 Marcus was silent for a while. He'd turned off the connection to his emotions so I couldn't see what he was feeling. He looked like he was battling with his wolf. I waited quietly and patiently for him to speak. He finally sighed heavily, running his hands through his hair in frustration.

 "Fine. You win. We will give the boy a chance."

 I squealed in delight, jumping up and hugging my mate tight. "Thank you, Marc, thank you!"

 "You always know just how to win an argument, my love." Marcus chuckled before kissing me passionately. "We won't welcome him as a pack member until he has earned not only my trust, but yours, Kyle's, and Luke's. You know very well that won't be easy."

 "I understand, Marcus. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a good idea." I said softly. I knew he was right. It wouldn't be easy to gain our trust. Sure, perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to earn mine and Kyle's. But Luke's and Marcus'? That is a whole different story.