Chapter 4

Bethany's POV:

I slowly brought Darnell back to the pack. My sister, brother-in-law, and their friends were all waiting for me at the edge of the pack, their eyes as wide as saucers. Before anyone could say anything, I spoke.

 "I will explain everything, I promise. But my mate needs help. He's losing a lot of blood and very weak." my tone was urgent. I knew Darnell was in a lot of pain. His makeshift bandages weren't helping his wounds much. 

 "Kyle, Cara, get to the pack hospital and make sure they're prepared for an emergency patient who needs urgent care right away." Marcus spoke. His tone was firm and serious. "Luke, you help me get him to the hospital. Amelia, take care of Peter and Cassie. Loraina, stay with Bethany and make sure she's alright."

 Without saying anything, they immediately took up their tasks. Cara and Kyle hurried to the hospital, Luke and Marcus took Darnell in their arms, being careful not to worsen his injuries. 

 "No...Beth..." Darnell said hoarsely.

 "I'll be right here, Darnell. I won't leave you." I promised. Darnell looked me in the eyes, as if trying to see if I was being honest. He finally nodded and allowed the Alpha and Beta to carry him away. Loraina and I walked close behind. My sister had her arm around me as we walked.

 I was allowed to be with Darnell as he was being taken care of, as that was the only way he would remain calm. Even as weak as he was, I could see he was a stubborn boy. He wouldn't give up easily. I held his uninjured hand the whole time. Finally, the doctor finished tending to his wounds and it wasn't long before Darnell fell asleep. His hand still clutched mine, as though he were afraid I'd disappear if he were to let go.

 My family, Luke, Kyle, and Cara walked in. They looked at my mate and then at me. I knew they were waiting for me to explain.

 "I was just dancing in the yard. I didn't realize I'd gotten so caught up in the music and dance I'd crossed the border. But, I am glad I did. When I stopped, I caught his scent and followed it. He was hurt badly from another rogue. I had to bring him here...He might've died if I hadn't helped him." I explained the whole story of how I'd found Darnell to them.

 They looked at each other. They obviously weren't sure what to do. Marcus was very wary when it came to trusting rogues. He didn't just give them his trust. They had to earn it. Which wasn't an easy thing to do.

 Marcus looked at Loraina, who put her hand on his shoulder. "I know he's a rogue, my love. But he is also my sister's mate. I think we should give him a chance."

 "Lori is right, Marc. We can't just kick him out. He's hurt and needs a place to rest and be taken care of. And his mate is here." Kyle stated. Cara nodded in agreement, her arm linked with her mate's.

 Marcus looked skeptical. He looked over at Luke. Luke was a man of few words. He was quiet. But when he did speak, they were always full of meaning. Luke nodded slowly. "He needs our help, Marcus." 

 I looked pleadingly at my brother-in-law. He sighed and finally agreed. "Alright. He can stay in the pack house. Bethany, I expect you will take care of him most of the time? Your sister has Luna duties and a daughter to take care of."

 "Of course I will, Marcus!" I smiled brightly at him. I wanted to get up and hug him, but another part of me didn't want to move my hand away from my mate's. "Thank you, Marcus." 

 Marcus smiled and nodded. "Your welcome, Beth." 

 A few hours had passed. Loraina, Marcus, Luke, Kyle, and Cara had already left. I decided to stay for a while. It was honestly hard to believe I'd finally found my mate. It was amazing and felt so surreal. I love him already and can't imagine my life without him. 

 I smiled down at my sleeping mate. He looked so handsome, despite his scar. Something about him intrigued me. I don't know why though. But...his mark might have something to do with it. I moved his hair out of his face and gave a small sigh. Just by looking at him, I knew he'd had a hard life. I don't know how long he's been a rogue. But I can tell it's been rough on him.

 It wasn't long before Darnell began to stir. I smiled at him. "Hey. How are you feeling?" I asked gently.

 "Alright..." he said quietly. "I'm sorry...I guess I fell asleep..."

 "It's fine, Darnell. Honestly, it looks like you needed it. You don't sleep very well at night, do you?"

 "Not really..." he remarked. 

 "The doctor said you'd be alright. You need to stay here a few days at least before you can leave. But after you get out, Marcus, the alpha, and my brother-in-law, said you could come and stay with us."

 "I don't know, Bethany...It might just be best for me to go back to the woods...I'm a rogue. Pack wolves don't take kindly to rogues." 

 "Darnell, please don't leave...Marcus has promised to give you a chance. You need to rest and be cared for...I want to help you..."

 Darnell looked up at me. He looked hesitant, but finally, he nodded slowly. "Alright...I'll give it a chance...But if things don't work out, then I'm going back to the woods."

 I smiled brightly and hugged him, being careful of his arm. I could feel he tensed up, surprised at my hug, but he slowly eased up. "Thank you, Darnell! I love you..." 

 "I...I love you too, Bethany..." Darnell said in a quiet voice. He had a small smile on his handsome face.

Phoenixजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें