Chapter 17

Bethany's POV:

 I sat on my mate's bed, so many emotions coursing through me. I couldn't believe it...My mate really accepted me...For real! He didn't have any hesitation or fear in his voice when he told me loved me! 

 I smiled, wiping the tears away from my eyes. "Thank you, Darnell..."

 He looked at me, confused. "For what?"

 "For loving me and accepting me as your mate," I said softly. "I know being a phoenix in a pack of wolves won't be easy. But I promise you, I will do everything I can to help you. I will do everything I can to make them understand you are not a danger to anyone."

 Darnell smiled and laughed. "Well, that's really only partly true, Bethany."

 I raised an eyebrow and frowned. "What?"

 "I'm a danger to those who hurt you and make you upset. I will not hesitate to defend you. You're mine. I don't want to see you upset or hurt." 

 I smiled. "Thank you, my love..."

 "Of course." Darnell said in a quiet voice. I leaned close to him, my forehead resting against his.

 At that moment, I heard someone clear their throat. I jumped and looked towards the doorway. Marcus, Loraina, Kyle, and Luke stood there. Marcus had his arms crossed. He looked firm and cold. Loraina stood next to him, frowning softly. Kyle didn't look as cold as Marc, but he did look serious. He had his arms crossed. Luke leaned against the wall, his usual emotionless expression on his face. I never did understand why he was so....cold and emotionless...

 "I think it's time we finish our discussion, Darnell." Marcus said firmly.

 I looked over at Darnell, who looked away. He was tense and nervous. "Do you feel up to it, Darnell..?" I asked in a gentle tone. He looked at me, before taking a deep, shaky breath, and nodding. "Alright." I looked back over at the others. "Come in. But I warn you, do not be too hard on him. He's not strong enough to handle all this stress." I said in a firm, serious tone.

 "Of course. We don't intend on pushing him, Beth." Lori said softly. "We're just curious. We only have a few more questions for him." I nodded as they walked inside the room. 

"The first and main question we have for you, is how did you hide the fact you're a phoenix? Your scent was that of a wolf. But when you returned after leaving, your scent was different. How did you manage to trick us?" Marcus began.

 Darnell sighed. "As a phoenix, I have the ability to change my scent to whatever scent I desire. That's why you thought I was a wolf..."

 Luke nodded, not saying a word. He kept his gaze fixed on us. "That makes sense..." Kyle said quietly. "When we found you, what happened? And why was your scent different?"

 "I had been hiding my phoenix scent for just about two weeks...If I hide my scent for too long, I'll start to feel the consequences...I'll lose energy and I could lose weight...." Darnell looked down guiltily. "I was afraid....Afraid of what would happen if you all, and especially Bethany, found out what I truly was....So I ignored the signs of fatigue and continued to hide my scent..."

 "When Bethany found you, were you hiding your scent?" Loraina asked.

 "Yes...I sometimes would do that in the woods...To try to keep rogues away or just to practice, making sure I kept my skills sharp. Just in case." I gave a small frown and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. Darnell looked up at me, giving me a small smile. He then turned back to our onlookers. "I guess I'd just lost too much energy...I was too weak and fainted...It had been my intent to leave the pack...Apparently I lost consciousness before I could.."

 "I'm glad." Luke's voice startled us. Everyone in the room turned to look at him.

 "Luke?" Marcus asked, frowning.

 "I am glad because I could see how much you both cared for one another. You never showed it much, Darnell, but I could see it clearly. When you left, I could see how much it hurt Bethany. She couldn't even bring herself to leave your room. How Cara convinced her to leave, is beyond me. But, I am glad she did." 

 Darnell and I smiled at him. "I'm glad she did too..." I said gently. I stroked my mate's hair gently. He closed his eyes in content, leaning into my touch. For a moment, we forgot we weren't alone.

 Marcus cleared his throat, bringing us out of our little world. He looked firm and serious. "We have only one more question. If we have any more, we'll come to you."

 Darnell nodded slowly. "What is your question, Alpha...?"

 "What are your intentions with my pack? What are you intentions with my family and my friends? What are your intentions with my sister-in-law?" his tone was cold and sounded threatening. 

 I stood up, facing him, frowning angrily. I growled at him. "Marcus." I warned.

 "No, Bethany. I want an answer. Now, phoenix." I clenched my fists so tight they hurt. Anger was rising within me. I growled again.

 "I have no intention to hurt your family, friends, pack, or sister-in-law. My intentions for Bethany, is just to love her and be her mate. I know you might not believe me and I don't care. But it is the truth. I know you won't welcome me into the pack. I understand and don't hold any grudge. But, I do want you to know, that I will do whatever I can to remain with Bethany. I don't want her to quiet dance. If I have to, I'll go back to the woods.-"

 I couldn't hold back the growl that left my lips. Was he gonna leave me again?! I looked at him pleadingly. 

 He held my hand tightly, giving me a small smile. "It's alright...I promised you I wouldn't leave you and I meant it. What I was going to say, was I will go back to the woods if I have to. But I will come back every day to see Bethany."